Tough bill is unexpected

Minnesota comes to Evanston this weekend with an unblemished record, but can it really get more difficult for Northwestern than playing Kansas, Air Force and Miami (Ohio)?

No, seriously. Kansas has not lost since its defeat to NU Aug. 30, Air Force is undefeated, and Miami only has one loss.

The three teams the Wildcats (2-3, 0-1 Big Ten) played as a warmup for the Big Ten season aren’t traditional football powerhouses — last season they went a combined 17-20 — but they have a combined record of 12-2 so far this season.

Throw in lowly Duke and undefeated Ohio State, and the Wildcats are the only team in the country whose first five opponents have more than 17 combined victories.

NU’s first five opponents are 19-5 and the Cats’ 12-game schedule currently ranks as the ninth-toughest in Division I-A football, according to the NCAA. Add in the rest of the Cats’ schedule for a combined opponents’ record of 39-19.

“We have played some really quality teams so far,” NU coach Randy Walker said. “Playing good teams helps you prepare and sometimes when you play teams that aren’t as good you play down to their level.”

Snappin’ it silly

After two poor snaps against Ohio State last week, the Cats are considering using a new long snapper for field goals this week.

Freshman Chris Horton has been the long snapper for punts all season, but Tuesday he also took reps with the field goal unit. Sophomore Sean Mansfield has done the snapping for field goals the first five games and last year handled the majority of the team’s duties.

Walker said he would probably make a decision about the snapper Thursday, but said he was optimistic about the kicking game.

“We started getting some snaps and holds we needed today, ” Walker said. “Holder Eric Batis did a good job of getting the ball down.”

Horton, a native of Pickerington, Ohio, came to NU as a long snapping specialist, and he roomed in Elder Hall last year with place kicker Slade Larscheid.

Larscheid has missed his first four attempts of the season, but he’s keeping things in perspective.

“The kicking was a little up and down (Tuesday), and we have to get our rhythm back,” Larscheid said. “The snaps were little better, and it all starts in practice.

“The field goal is going to come, it’s just a matter of time.”

Center stage

The Cats had just finished 100-yard sprints, but freshman Trevor Rees couldn’t stop smiling after practice. Rees has plenty to be pleased about after making his first career start at center last week against Ohio State. The 6-foot-2, 280-pound lineman is listed as the starter for this week’s game.

“It was a really awesome to start at center,” Rees said. “I grew up dreaming about playing Big Ten football, and to get my first start at Ohio Stadium in front of 104,000 was incredible.”

Rees, a native of Pearland, Texas, was slowed with a hamstring injury in the preseason, but his playing time has gradually increased as the season has progressed.

With Rees starting at center, junior Matt Ulrich moves over to right guard and junior Bill Newton becomes a back up.

“I feel a lot stronger at guard,” Ulrich said. “At guard you can come off the ball and manhandle people and center is more of a technique position.

“I thought Trevor did a great job at center. He held his own against guys that are going to be in the NFL next year.”