Run defense grounds Buckeye’s attack

Early in the third quarter, the 245-pound Ohio State fullback had little chance of converting on fourth down and two against the swarming Northwestern defense. The Wildcats (2-3, 0-1 Big Ten) stuffed the Branden Joe run up the gut for no gain, and NU neutralized the Buckeyes’ power rushing attack at Ohio Stadium on Saturday.

While the NU offense failed to take advantage of scoring opportunities in the 20-0 loss, stops like that from the Cats’ defense kept the game close until the final quarter.

“The defense played well enough for us to win,” said NU running back Jason Wright. “We kept putting them in horrible situations as far as field position, and they kept bowing up and getting stops against a great team.”

Despite the loss, after the game NU players and coaches had nothing but praise for the defense, which held the Buckeyes to 311 yards of total offense. NU defensive end Barry Cofield even went so far as to imply that the Cats’ defense outplayed the Buckeyes offense.

“It really helps to beat a powerhouse and running team like the Buckeyes,” Cofield said.

NU held the Buckeyes to only 125 yards on the ground, and more than 30 of those yards came in garbage time right before the end of each half. Lydell Ross led the Buckeyes with 43 yards on the ground, but Ohio State averaged only 3.6 yards per carry.

“We think we played well against the run, and that was our main goal,” Cofield said. “We would have wanted to get a couple more stops, but as a whole we have a lot to build on.”

NU’s outside linebackers John Pickens and Tim McGarigle controlled the perimeters of the defense and the two combined to make 21 tackles against Ohio State. To help the linebackers slow the run, the Cats defense often brought safety Dominque Price near the line scrimmage and used fewer five defensive back sets than other games this season.

NU’s commitment to stopping the run led Ohio State to call more pass plays than rushes in the first half, despite having backup quarterback Scott McMullen and third-stringer Justin Zwick under center while injured starter Craig Krenzel remained on the sideline.

“The defense played great because Ohio State wanted to run the ball, and we forced them to pass,” NU quarterback Brett Basanez said. “Holding the defending national champions to 20 points is a pretty good game.”

The Buckeyes couldn’t establish a consistent rushing attack but used the rush to set up the pass. Ohio State’s reliance on play action was no more obvious than it’s final touchdown when, after failing to pound the ball in with two rushes from within the three-yard line, McMullen faked a hand off and hit tight end Ryan Hamby for the score.

“I think we struggled at times with the pass today, ” cornerback Jeff Backes said. “But I think we played pretty well against the run all day.”

Playing well against the run has been common theme for the Cats as the defense that allowed more than 300 yards rushing a game last season has surrendered fewer than 150 yards a game this season.

“This is the best defense I’ve had in five years here,” Walker said. “I think they’re only getting better, and that’s the most pleasing thing.”