PULSE: Because living doesn’t mean working 60 hours per week

July 31-Aug. 3: Ships ahoy

Usually a trip to Navy Pier means slumming with sightseers and paying an arm and a leg for an artery-clogging burger, but this weekend is something special. Coming to a tourist trap near you — ships! Thirty of them, and they’re tall. See a display of wind-powered ships or just take in a sailing parade. The jury’s still out on what exactly that is — watercrafts carrying sparklers and doing saucy poms dances to the tune of “Louie, Louie”? — but who knows, it could be fun. Call 312-744-0565 for ticket information.

July 31: Supporting our schools

It doesn’t have a mascot or a school song, but Wine University has to be doing something right. Hit Mas, 1670 W. Division St. in Chicago, from 7-10 p.m. to meet the teachers and learn about the curriculum. Or, discover one of the finer pleasures of higher education: getting stinking drunk off a three-course wine dinner.

Aug. 1: Pleased as pin-up

Feeling bummed that you missed out on getting picked for Playboy’s Girls of the Big Ten spread? No fear, there are plenty more opportunities to be objectified. Case in point: Circuit Night Club, 3641 N. Halsted, is offering a contest for women vying to grace the pages of the 2004 ChixMix calendar. Grab your sexiest gear and be ready to shake that thing to DJ Xsite from 9 p.m.-4 a.m. And remember: The $8-10 cover charge costs far less than your dignity.

Aug. 1-2: Ballin’ it up

Athletics may not be NU’s forte, but perhaps Jitim Young can swing by Nike Battlegrounds 2003, a one-on-one single-elimination basketball tournament in Chicago’s Seward Park, 375 W. Elm St. The ballin’-est player wins $10,000 and a Nike gear contract. If you’re not into sweating, back that ass up to some hip-hop music or just check out hot cars from 7-9 p.m. The event is free, but get the lowdown on www.nikebasketball.com for advance tickets.

Aug. 2: Arts in the park

An arts festival? In Evanston? Wrapping up a season full of reckless creative abandon, the Lakeshore Arts Festival in Dawes Park features more than 125 artists. It’s free, so that’s cool, but come on guys — food? Entertainment? Crafts booths? I’m feeling a bit of deja vu …