Something for everyone

12:30 The Capability

You might remember them from: The Capability took home the trophy at the Mayfest Battle of the Bands at Nevin’s Live.

The scoop: The band’s Web site makes these art-rockers sound like pretentious artistes, but word has it that the hype is deserved. With only two Northwestern students in the group, The Capability relishes in poetic lyricism and breathy vocals. Lead singer Tim Dickinson sounds like a cross between Thom Yorke and Dave Matthews, which seems incredibly wrong.

Watch for: Expect bleeding-heart lyrics, drawn-out solos and dark lighting. “Let Me Be” takes hints from role model Jeff Buckley.

1:30 Troubled Hubble

You might remember them from: Troubled Hubble has relentlessly done the Midwest indie rock circuit for the past three years but has never made it to the coasts.

The scoop: Unlike many of the acts offered at Dillo Day this year, these geek rockers do not wallow in pain. Rather, like role models, Archers of Loaf and Ben Folds, the band goofs off and puts a positive spin on even the most depressing of subjects.

Watch for: “I Love My Canoe” off this year’s Penturbia will have even the most cynical indie rockers laughing.

3:00 Steel Train

You might remember them from: These soulful rockers are alumni of the 2002 punk-fest Vans Warped Tour.

The scoop: Not as lame as the band name implies, Steel Train’s musical styling is more subtle than the screaming tones of its label mates at Drive-Thru Records. The same themes of adolescent frustration and unfulfilled romance apply, but they’re delivered with sweet harmonies rather than with thrashing guitars and shouting.

Watch for: It’s hard to know what to expect from such a young band — the group released its only EP in January. If the release is any indication, Steel Train should be a pleasant surprise.

4:30 Idlewild

You might remember them from: The band opened for Coldplay on its last tour and will open for Pearl Jam in the coming months.

The scoop: How can five twentysomething Scotsmen sound like a harder-rocking version of R.E.M. mixed with the anguish of Morrissey? Not sure but somehow it works. Haunting melodies, heart-felt lyrics and youthful disillusionment separate Idlewild from its fame-loving, booze-swigging peers. Judging from the albums, though, don’t expect to discern the lyrics. Lead singer Roddy Woomble often gets drowned out by his guitar-heavy band.

Watch for: “Roseability” off of 2000’s 100 Broken Windows is a gorgeous, pop-laded track that is sure to keep people moving.

6:00 Robert Randolph & The Family Band

You might remember them from: Chances are you have never heard of Robert Randolph, though he is reported to have stolen the show at the recent Jammy Awards in New York.

The scoop: Randolph became somewhat of a legend on the “Sacred Steel” guitar at his local church in New Jersey before being discovered in 2000. Now he’s bringing his brand of gospel to the masses with a five-piece jam band. After working the New York scene for a few years, Randolph has developed a sound that blends the soul of the Cotton Club with the improvisational stamina of the Wetlands.

Watch for: “I Don’t Know What You Come to Do” off Randolph’s 2002 live album is sure to have the audience on its feet.

8:00 Blackalicious

You might remember them from: The group’s 2002 release Blazing Arrow borrowed guest vocals from such esteemed company as Ben Harper and Rage Against the Machine’s Zack de la Rocha.

The scoop: These California hip-hoppers would make Henry Bienen proud with their positive political message and cultural pride. The duo takes jabs at the president and the press but isn’t short on fun, either. Add butter-smooth lyrics, artful tongue-twisters and thumping beats and you have Blackalicious.

Watch for: The single “Blazing Arrow” is a group highlight, featuring a sample of ’60s pop crooner Harry Nilsson.

9:30 The Crystal Method

You might remember them from: That music video about a lonely breakdancing nose who falls in love with a hot girl with a giant pointer finger (get it?).

The scoop: What was their one song? The one about a busy child? This blast from the past and Dillo Day headliner is perhaps the most bizarre name on the line-up this year, apparently five years late. Neither the duo’s 2001 release Tweekend nor the single “Name of the Game” managed to capture headlines or the attention of fans. Regardless of if techno floats your boat, the Method are infamous for flashy light shows and theatrics.

Watch for: Smoke machines, disco balls and drunken, disoriented attendees are sure to color the Method’s set.