Intruder chased from Sig Ep; frat house plagued by thefts

Jason Kessler woke up Thursday morning to see a strange man standing by his bed.

“I yelled, ‘What the fuck?’ and I jumped out of my top bunk,” the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity member said. “The adrenaline kicked right in. I literally sprinted down the stairs.”

Kessler, a Communication junior, chased the man out of the Sigma Ep fraternity house but was unable to catch him.

“I think I reacted quick enough that he didn’t have time to take anything,” Kessler said. “It was one of the scariest moments of my life.”

University Police is investigating the incident in connection with two other burglaries from the Sig Ep house that took place earlier in the week, said Sgt. Steven Stoeckl.

A wallet was stolen from another Sig Ep room overnight Monday, Stoeckl said. Steve McKee, a Weinberg senior, said his wallet was stolen Monday night from the desk in his bedroom.

“It’s a little scary to think that there was someone in your room while you were sleeping,” McKee said. “The amount of guts somebody has to have to do that has to be pretty big.”

McKee said the wallet contained his credit cards and $70 in cash. When he called his credit card company, McKee learned that his cards had been used that morning at a gas station.

A $200 bicycle was also taken from the Sig Ep mailroom the same night, Stoeckl said.

Sig Ep will discuss changing the house’s lock system at the next chapter meeting, Kessler said.

“I think everybody’s kind of treating it as a wake up call to lock their doors,” he said.