Mighty Wind’ star Hitchcock plays nyou’s guest

nyou: Is it true you guys don’t like to use the term “mockumentary” to describe the Christopher Guest projects?

Michael Hitchcock: Well, Chris Guest doesn’t. He thinks it cheapens the subject matter. “A Mighty Wind” is especially such a good example. This particular film is a love letter to the subject matter. Chris is a huge fan of folk music and always has been and it shows in the movie. There’s this love story with Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara’s characters. When I saw the film, I teared up with their conclusion. In that sense, they’re not trying to mock the subject matter, but still have it be a satire.

nyou: Compared to “Guffman” and “Best in Show” there were a lot more dramatic moments. What role to these play in a comedy?

MH: I think that’s just a choice that Eugene and Chris made at the beginning. He doesn’t want to make the same movie over and over again. With “A Mighty Wind,” it’s really more a celebration of that era and of folk music.

nyou: How does the rehearsal process work in creating these characters?

MH: There is no rehearsal process per se. Eugene Levy and Christopher Guest write an outline usually 20 pages long, very minimal. They will basically just outline the beats of the movie and sometimes it will only be a sentence. For instance, “My character interviews.” But very little time is there any suggested dialogue. When the camera roles, it’s the first time we actually open our mouths and talk. Also, everyone you saw in “A Mighty Wind” really played and really sang. There are no ghost singers. Parker Posey had to learn how to play the mandolin.

nyou: When it comes to an ensemble cast, how big is too big?

MH: The best thing about Christopher Guest films is that he’s picked people who are very good improvizers. I feel very safe with those who I’m up there with. Improv is such a team sport. You have to know who to go back and forth with. On most hollywood movies or TV shows you’ve always got the agents and studio people watching you. Chris doesn’t allow them to come on the set. The pressure isn’t there anymore. It’s like a family: you’re free to react, you’re free to fail.

nyou: How do you think going to NU affected your career?

MH: I thought the people I met at NU were some of the most creative and smart people I met. Even having to put up with NU winters gives you a little more stamina.