Coach excited about her boring team’s play (Women’s Tennis)

Dominating. Consistent. Aggressive. These words come to mindwhen describing the Northwestern women’s tennis team. But NU coachClaire Pollard has an adjetive of her own: Boring.

“We’re a pretty boring team,” Pollard said with a smile. “Thekids just go out and do their jobs quietly. It’s been pretty smoothsailing as a whole.”

For Pollard, being “boring” is one of her team’s greateststrengths. Despite dropping its first Big Ten match in almost threeyears last Sunday against Minnesota, No. 19 NU (13-7, 5-1 Big Ten)enters this weekend’s matches exemplifying an emotional consistencythat would make any coach proud.

The Wildcats will face Penn State (7-9, 2-4) on Saturday inState College, Pa. and then travel to face Ohio State (10-8, 4-2)in Columbus, Ohio on Sunday.

Pollard said Ohio State would be the tougher of the two teams,but hoped NU would not overlook Penn State while concentrating onSunday’s match against Ohio State. Pollard said she never tells herteam to put more emphasis on one match than another.

“By doing that you’re almost saying that one match isn’timportant,” Pollard said. “A team can show inexperience by treatingopponents differently”

Adding to Pollard’s fears that NU will look past the Lady Lions,is a less than amiable relationship between her team and theBuckeyes.

“We’re not crazy about the way (the Buckeyes) behave when theyplay a tennis match,” Pollard said, “They’re not one of ourfavorite teams in the league.”

In an attempt to improve NU’s few weak areas, Pollard said shewould change the lineup in this weekend’s matches. The Cats havestruggled all year to win the doubles point and more recently havehad trouble winning points in the bottom half of the lineup.

Junior Stacy Kokx, limited in action in recent weeks by a footinjury, will replace Kristi Roemer at the No. 6 singlesposition.

Jamie Peisel and Andrea Yung will pair up at the No. 2 doubles,with Connie Chiang and Ruth Barnes at No. 3. In previous matchesYung had teamed with Barnes at No. 2, and Peisel with Roemer in thethird spot.

“I think chemistry-wise and game style-wise these teams mightcompliment each other,” Pollard said.

Despite the challenge of four straight away matches, Pollardsays her team should respond.

“Going on the road is a good thing because the kids get moresleep,” Pollard said.