Cats garner conference recognition

Although the Big Ten named her conference player of the week, Erin Mobley wasn’t the top female athlete at Northwestern. That honor went to pitcher Lauren Schwendimann.

In three games last weekend against Ohio State and Penn State, the NU (21-11, 3-5 Big Ten) senior hurler won twice, posted a 0.00 ERA and struck out 10.

While she was pleased with the recognition, Schwendimann said she was surprised she won NU’s Female Athlete of the Week over Mobley, a sophomore outfielder from Santa Ana, Calif.

“Coach told me I must have some pull at NU because Mobley was Big Ten Player of the Week,” she said. “(The award) feels good, but it’s not the whole story.”

Through five games last week, Mobley went 8-for-18 and compiled a .944 slugging percentage.

In game two of Sunday’s home doubleheader against Penn State, she hit her second home run of the season, a two-run shot to right-center field.

“She’s on a roll for us right now,” coach Kate Drohan said.

Mobley said she wasn’t jealous of Schwendimann’s honor.

“If I have to take one (award), I’ll take this one,” she said.

SO FRESH, SO CLEAN: Earlier this season, Drohan said her team’s underclassmen lacked experience. But now that the Big Ten season has started, she’s noticed that her entire team has matured.

“The freshmen have stopped playing like freshman,” she said. “I don’t wonder if they understand how important this is. They get it.”

Recently, Drohan started first-year players in three of the four infield positions.

After senior third baseman Cindy Muran injured her finger Saturday, freshman Kristen Amegin had no trouble replacing the veteran.

Amegin will continue to hold down the hot corner this weekend as Muran is unlikely to play in the field.

First baseman Jamie Dotson has been the most consistent freshman at the plate, hitting .268 and starting all 32 NU games.

Although she’s currently hitting .219 in 28 games, Ashley Crane has been nearly flawless defensively. Crane credited her teammates for pushing her to be a more complete player.

“I think this team has the best chemistry,” she said. “Since I came here, I started to like softball even more.”

LEADING OFF: As the only upperclassman in NU’s infield, Carrie Leto has embraced her veteran role. It’s a new job for her, but she relishes it.

“I try to be a leader, because we have a pretty young team,” Leto said. “I try to keep everyone’s focus.”

After last season, when she was named second-team All-Big Ten, Leto has tried to improve her game. As leadoff hitter, she knows that she has to get on base before her teammates.

Although Drohan dropped Leto in the lineup earlier this season, she’s now back to her familiar leadoff spot and hoping to lead the squad to the Big Ten Tournament.

Drohan said she thinks that Leto will continue to be a leader, even if she falls into a slump at the plate.

“She plays with a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of energy and she keeps her teammates up,” Drohan said.