Survey seeks lowdown on NU, nightlife — and IM

Northwestern students have been asked to join their peers at 30 other universities in participating in an online survey gauging the strengths and weaknesses of the college experience.

The five-part survey, which takes about 20 minutes to complete, was designed by the Consortium on Financing Higher Education, a group of universities including Princeton University, Harvard University, Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Chicago. An individualized e-mail was sent Monday providing students a link to the survey’s Web site.

NU administrators encouraged students to take the time to respond.

“It’s the most important opportunity for students to provide feedback,” said Rebecca Dixon, associate provost of university enrollment. “Not only will the information gained be helpful in our own planning, but we can compare results to other highly selective schools.”

NU will receive a set of internal statistics and the combined survey results of the other institutions, said Bill Hayward, the university’s director of analytical studies.

“The survey is designed in a cooperative effort by all 31 institutions,” he said. “I think the issues we face are being faced by all of our peers.”

The survey consists of five sections: academics and advising, campus life, personal life, background and comments. Questions range from the average balance students carry on their credit cards to the frequency with which students discuss their career plans with faculty members.

“The surveys are taken very seriously by senior administrators,” Hayward said. “They looked at the results. Over the years they have been used to make changes at the university.”

Dixon cited the example of NU’s study abroad program as one way student input has prompted change. In a survey taken several years ago, students expressed dissatisfaction with the number of study abroad opportunities offered, Dixon said. As a result administrators increased the financing for these programs.

But not all of the categories deal with academic concerns. The campus life section asks students how much time they spend “partying” and on “e-mail or Instant Messenger.” While many of the questions on NU’s survey are the same as those at the other 30 schools, some supplemental questions are unique, including those dealing with Associated Student Government and interdisciplinary studies.

Ryan Bradley said he planned to participate in the survey.

“It’s a good way to have your voice heard,” said Bradley, a Medill sophomore. “Almost everyone at this school has something to say.”

But others said they doubted whether or not their views would make a difference.

“I don’t know if my feedback will be useful,” said Dan Fields, a Communication freshman. “I’ll participate, but I don’t have any strong thoughts.”