EPD charges 2 more suspects in Feb. 24 Kennedy shooting

Police arrested two more people late last week in the fatal shooting of Evanston resident Deminco Kennedy.

Joseph McHaney, 18, and Tamyka Robinson, 21, were each arrested and charged Thursday with three counts of first-degree murder, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of Evanston Police Department.

Police have now charged four people in the Feb. 24 shooting, which was Evanston’s first homicide this year. On Friday, bond was set for each suspect at Circuit Court in Skokie.

In addition to McHaney, of the 2000 block of Ashland Avenue, and Robinson, of the 1800 block of Brown Avenue, police arrested Chicago residents Tommy Robinson, 21, and Phoenix Panor, 18, on Wednesday and charged each with three counts of first-degree murder.

Bond was set at $250,000 each for Tamyka Robinson and Panor, Perry said. McHaney’s bond was set at $500,000.

Tommy Robinson faces a $500,000 bond for the murder charges and $100,000 for two outstanding warrants in Cook County and Evanston, Perry said. No bond was set for a third outstanding warrant issued by the state for a parole violation.

All four suspects are scheduled to appear in court again on March 13.

Tamyka Robinson is the sister of Tommy Robinson, Perry said. And according to Kennedy’s family, Panor is Kennedy’s cousin and Tommy Robinson’s girlfriend.

It appears the shooting was the result of a dispute over money, Perry said.

Kennedy, 26, of the 1900 block of Jackson Avenue, died after he was shot once in his left side.

He was lying conscious in the front seat of a car on the 1700 block of Grey Avenue when officers found him before noon.

According to Natasha Poyser, Kennedy’s girlfriend, he was shot on Emerson Street between Dodge Avenue and Hovland Court. He then drove to an alley behind her mother’s house on Grey, Poyser said.

Kennedy was taken to Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., where he was pronounced dead at about 3:30 p.m.

EPD and the North Regional Major Crimes Task Force (NORTAF) are still investigating the shooting.