Sports columnist offers inside access to athletes

New York Times sports columnist Ira Berkow thinks athletes can berole models if they’re given the opportunity.

During an interview with Muhammad Ali, Berkow was pressured by a friend to ask the boxer for autographs for her young, misbehaving sons. Ali consented, writing “To Timmy and Ricky, from Muhammad Ali. Clean that room, or I will seal your doom.”

Berkow, a Medill ’64 graduate and a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter told a packed crowd at Monday at the McCormick Tribune Center Forum that he’s proud of the close relationship he shares with his subjects.

Berkow said basketball superstar Isiah Thomas once asked if it was all right to give him a hug, since reporters and athletes are supposed to maintain a professional distance.

“I said, ‘Isiah, it’s OK if you hug me — just don’t kiss me. People are watching,'” Berkow recalled.

Audience members said they were captivated by Berkow’s personal tales of inside access during the Crain Lecture.

“I’m not really interested in sports in general and I thought the lecture was really interesting since it dealt with personal stories,” said Danielle Carlson, a Medill freshman. “I didn’t expect to be as interested as I was. Players became people.”

Berkow, who also authored the book “Minority Quarterback,” discussed several controversies in today’s sports world. Fielding questions from the audience, he strongly disagreed that sporting events have become too expensive.

“A baseball game is so much cheaper than going to a show in New York on Broadway,” he said. “If you don’t go all the time it’s not that expensive. This is America. Why should you have a cap on salaries?”

Berkow cited the Anaheim Angels’ World Series victory last fall as proof that even a team with average payroll can succeed. But some audience members disagreed.

“I think the point about high salaries was very wrong,” said Jeff Dees, a Medill sophomore. “Anaheim gets the players for one year and they win the title. A couple years later, when those players are free agents and want higher salaries, a team like Anaheim cannot keep them.”

Berkow also provoked the crowd with his take on the trend of female athletes competing in men’s sporting events.

“If women can compete with men, fine. I don’t think they can and I don’t think it makes a difference,” he said.

Berkow also supported Tiger Woods’ decision not to boycott Augusta National Golf Club for its policy of not admitting female members.

Though Berkow said athletes should fight for causes, he said he believes there are bigger problems for women than whether or not they are excluded from a private golf club.

“I thought it was most interesting what he had to say about the issue of women’s equality in sports,” said Jeff Lee, a Medill sophomore. “I think Tiger Woods should take more of a stand on the issue. He’s someone with enough power that he could make an impact on the sport.”