Make me a match

Move over, Cupid — Kappa Alpha Theta members are the new matchmakers on campus.

But instead of taking aim with heart-tipped arrows, the women of Theta have been wielding red-and-white test sheets as part of a project to help students find dates for Valentine’s Day — and raise money for Dance Marathon.

“It was one of those silly things that people got excited about and were willing to pay for because it was for a good cause,” said Katie Bush, a Weinberg freshman and Theta member.

Sabrina Junger, the sorority’s philanthropy chairwoman, said she got the idea from www.fundraising.com, a Web site that offers matchmaking services. Theta members sold questionnaires for $3 to students last week, and Junger said the results will be back just in time for Valentine’s Day.

Theta raised $450 with the matchmaking service, which Junger said will go to the DM fund the sorority shares with Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Students answered questions about themselves and their ideal dates, including queries about hair color, favorite movie and dating habits. One question about physical fitness listed choices such as “slim and fit,” “stocky but strong” and “wonderful personality.”

Results appear online and list the person’s 10 best matches, 10 worst matches and matches who would make good friends, said Junger, a Weinberg junior.

When students purchased the service, they also were registered for a raffle to win gift certificates for dinner for two in Evanston. Junger said members hoped the prizes would encourage students to “boldly ask one of (their) matches out.”

Eaman Talai said that’s exactly what he will do if he wins the raffle.

“I’m an adventurous person, so I’d probably call the top person on my list,” said Talai, a McCormick freshman. “It would be something interesting and memorable to do since you don’t know the person.”

Zack Hall, DM co-chairman, said the fund-raising idea sounded like a unique way to appeal to Northwestern students.

“Everyone always complains how there’s not enough dating,” said Hall, a Communication senior. “That’s the perfect solution.”