Panhel fills two vacant spots, appoints 2003-04 president

The Panhellenic Association rounded out its 2003-04 executive board Tuesday night and announced that former Delta Zeta President Erin Birk will lead the sorority organization.

The other executive board members are Charla Scott, vice president for education; Ashley Walker, judicial vice president; Christy Lyons, vice president of membership; Nicole Harsch, finance chairwoman; Erin Neal, vice president for programming; Kelly Knorr, public relations director; Emily Lewington, director of philanthropy and service; and Tara Croft, director of scholarship.

The new governing board will assume leadership after an installation ceremony Feb. 18.

Tuesday’s elections were for the philanthropy and scholarship positions, which will be held by two different board members for the first time.

Panhel elected members to the other posts in the first week of December but did not release the results until after Winter Rush.

Birk, a Weinberg junior, said one of her goals is to improve communication between the four governing bodies in NU’s Greek system: Panhel, Interfraternity Council, the Multicultural Greek Council and National Pan-Hellenic Council.

“I want to see if we can work together and make it one big Greek system and not have people see it as four separate Greek systems,” she said.

As vice president for education, Scott said she hopes to dispel negative stereotypes about sororities and invite more minority women to learn about the Greek system.

“We’re a diverse group of women, and we’re interested in having more diverse women join us,” said Scott, a Weinberg junior.