Voices of the lake

Four years after the reign of ASG president “Evil” Dave Sheldon, his dream of creating a forum for the displaced people of the lake has been realized. But those expressing concerns care more about the meal plan and the dating scene than the mythical tribe’s demise when Northwestern created the Lakefill.

Oracle of the Lake, an online sounding board for students, was created in the spirit of Sheldon, McCormick ’99, said Mike Fong, student services vice president.

Contrary to Sheldon’s goal of empowering the imaginary lake people, respondents primarily are concerned with campus social issues.

One Oracle posting expressed concern that student morale is low due to a lack of dating.

“Everyone here is awkward as hell, and nobody ever asks people out!” the anonymous message said. “I’m sick of friends feeling like they fell off the ugly tree because of some punk-ass frat boy who has to play it cool and ignore her, or risk peeing his pants. I know my morale would sky rocket if I got laid once in a while.”

“Help! I’m trapped at The Daily Northwestern,” said another, “but I want to quit and join ASG next quarter. Any advice?”

Fong, a Weinberg junior, said the Oracle has received about 120 responses since it debuted last Wednesday at asg.northwestern.edu/services/oracle.

Communication junior Andy Brommel said the service would be better as a message board.

“People are always talking about the same stuff,” Brommel said. “I’d be interested to see a central place for people to talk about things like the Lagoon fiasco.”