Tug of warriors

Inspired by an 1889 photo that hangs outside Willie’s Food Court, three friends decided to start a team honoring a long-forgotten Northwestern pastime: tug of war.

The co-captains of NU’s newest sports team — Communication seniors Matt Houchin and Becky Nelson and Communication sophomore Ross McNamara — say they have high hopes for a successful season and a renewal of the NU tradition.

The team completed its recruiting Fall Quarter and recently began practicing. Jerseys resemble those in the 1889 picture, and members wore fake mustaches during last Sunday’s practice to be completely authentic.

“Everyone in the 1890 team picture has a mustache,” Houchin said. “We want to be as much like them as possible.”

The team has purchased a 50-foot rope — regulation for indoor play — and plans to challenge people around campus to a tug.

The team has been well-received so far, the founders say.

“We wanted it to be co-ed, and we really didn’t want anyone to be able to bench over 150 pounds,” Houchin said.

“We did have to turn people away,” McNamara added.

They said the team will focus on unity and kinship.

“There is no ‘I’ in ‘team,'” Houchin said. “We put our egos aside at practice. We have one enormous team ego.”

“With a capital ‘E,'” Nelson added.

“Because there is an ‘E’ in ‘team,'” McNamara said.

Tug-of-war events won’t all be competitive, the founders said. Some could be for relaxation.

“We’d like to come to Norris @ Nite during finals and invite people to tug,” Houchin said. “You know, to relieve stress.

“We’re up for a challenge anytime,” Houchin said.

They said their strategy is motivational, not physical.

“We yell ‘ciao,'” Nelson said. “It’s Italian, and it means ‘goodbye’ and ‘victory.’ We use the ‘victory’ meaning.”

They said the game is won on many fronts.

“The game is 25 percent mental, 25 percent physical, 25 percent psychological, 25 percent technical/strategy, and 25 percent appearance — that’s jerseys and mustaches,” Houchin said.

‘That”s what we give,’ Nelson said. ‘125 percent.’