Cats look to use push-up power in pool (Women’s Swimming)

Close-grip push-ups may be the secret.

These basic gym class exercises could be the key to victory for the Northwestern women’s swim team when it takes on Tennessee Saturday at the Norris Aquatic Center.

Two days before the Jan. 10 meet against Michigan State, NU women’s swimmer Erica Rose hurt her shoulder in practice. But the injury did not occur in the pool.

The junior hurt herself imitating the men’s swimming team by doing close-grip pushups.

A few ibuprofens later, the shoulder felt better and the long distance swimmer went on to amass four victories in two days.

But that was just the beginning.

Later in the week Rose was named NU’s Female Athlete of the Week and The Big Ten Swimmer of the Week.

“I actually found out when I got an email from Vicky’s (West) dad,” Rose said about the conference honors.

Rose’s versatility will once again be called upon because of several injuries still plaguing the Cats. Last weekend she had to fill in for injured breaststrokers Brielle Bovee and Katie Simmons. Simmons, who hurt her shoulder in October, is still waiting to find out from doctors if she has a tear in her rotator cup. Until that happens, her action will be limited to the 200 yard butterfly.

Bovee will sit out for the second straight week while she waits to find out what is wrong with the shoulder that she injured just before the team’s holiday training trip.

Along with her normal races consisting of the 1000 and 500-yard freestyle, Rose will be swimming in the 200-yard breaststroke and 200-yard butterfly.

“We’ve used her in the breaststroke and the fly before,” NU coach JimmyTierney said. “She’s willing to do whatever we need. She’s a real team player.”

The Cats will need a strong team effort from the diving squad against what Tierney billed as “probably the best diving program in the country.”

The Lady Vol divers are led by sophomore All-American Lauryn McCalley who placed fifth last week at the Speedo American Cup.

While McCalley was impressive in a national competition, NU sophomore Ashley Carter failed to come up with a win against the Michigan State divers.

Carter and teammate Kristin Ward will both need to step up their game in order to keep NU in an even match.

The swimming of Rose will also become crucial to a victory for the Cats — as long as she can stay away from exercises meant for the guys.

“I probably shouldn’t do that again.”

Tennessee at NU

10 a.m., Saturday

Norris Aquatic Center