ASG restaurant guide debuts with menus for local eateries

The new, long-awaited Associated Student Government online restaurant guide made its debut today, featuring updated menus for about 10 Evanston eateries.

Buffalo Joe’s, Joy Yee’s Noodle Kitchen and Chipotle Mexican Grill are among the restaurants highlighted on the Web site, which is accessible from HereAndNow. For now, the site provides a menu for each establishment, but creators expect to expand the content in the future.

The previous restaurant database was outdated and limited in scope, said Weinberg junior Ben Cherry, ASG external relations chairman.

David Wei, who worked on the mechanics of the site, said although new features haven’t been added, the site improves upon previous content.

“Basically, it’s just more up-to-date with menus,” said Wei, a Weinberg senior. “One of the biggest problems was keeping the old site up-to-date, and this will help.”

If the premiere is successful, ASG will consider expanding the restaurant list, Cherry said. He said ASG might allow students to add their own menus, but the idea is not yet fully developed.

Wei said there have also been suggestions that the site be searchable by dish and by price.

Many of the improvements are dependent upon student use of the site, Cherry said.

“Hopefully down the road we’ll get more exotic with it,” he said. “(Now) it will be a little more pretty and a little bit faster than before.”