Hurambe’ highlights original performances

Poetry, songs and traditional instruments heightened an evening of cultural performances titled “Hurambe,” Swahili for “Let us pull together.”

In an effort to bring together creative performances from different cultures, the African-American Theatre Ensemble presented a variety show to an audience of about 30 people at Norris University Center on Sunday night.

“Everything that you hear tonight, you’ve never heard before and you’ll never hear it again, because they are all original pieces,” said Alexis Little, executive producer of AATE, in a welcome speech to the audience. “I want you to show them a lot of love.”

The evening included mostly performances of poetry and monologues but also some musical performances.

In a self-composed poem titled “The Plight of Rhetoric,” Medill freshman Malena Amusa expressed her disgust at social stereotypes.

“No one should be enslaved into a category,” she recited. “My blackness and my attitude are only a part of me.”

Another performer, Medill sophomore Samantha Nelson, sang a song she wrote about meeting new people at Northwestern.

“I am so afraid of this masquerade that we put on every day, ” she sang. “Touch me before I lose myself and become someone else.”

Encouraging the performers, Little told the audience that auditions were conducted for performers at the show, and only the “best of the best” were selected.

“You all get to see some real art,” said Little, a Communication sophomore. “P. Diddy ain’t made none of these.”

The audience listened in rapt attention as Ayesha McAdams-Mahmoud, a Medill sophomore, sang an original song, “Shadow Walkers,” while strumming on the guitar.

“My whole message through music is to bring social change,” said McAdams-Mahmoud, adding that her song addressed people’s identity issues.

In her poem, “Strength of a Black Man,” Weinberg sophomore Bethany Criss asked questions about the strength of black men in each stanza and answered the questions in the last.

“The strength of a black man is a black woman,” she concluded, while a female audience member jumped to her feet to applaud her.

Little said she was satisfied with the night’s event, although she had hoped for a larger turn-out and more diversity in the audience.

“A problem we were trying to address is that when African Americans throw events, only black people show up, when Asians throw something, only Asians show up and when white people throw something, only white people show up,” she said. “We wanted to get original talent from across the spectrum and pull together in the arts.”

Audience members said they enjoyed the intimate atmosphere.

“It’s invigorating and refreshening to see original art work,” said Sade Adekunle, a Weinberg sophomore. “Right now, a lot of the artists you see out there, their stuff is played out, and tonight was both inspiring and humbling.”