Rivalies mark last Big Ten weekend

As the final weekend of Big Ten football approaches, the winner of four of the five final games will take home more than just a sweet end to its season. Four trophies and bragging rights are also at stake.

While each of the five scheduled contests will pit two longtime rivals against one another, all but the Ohio State-Michigan clash will award a trophy for the victor to hold until next season’s game.

In the conference’s oldest rivalry, Minnesota and Wisconsin will meet for the 112th time to determine the keeper of Paul Bunyan’s Axe. The Golden Gophers currently hold the Axe and are playing in their third straight trophy game after losing the Floyd of Rosedale and Little Brown Jug trophies to Iowa and Michigan already this season.

Minnesota head coach Glen Mason said getting the Axe adds even more meaning to a game that doesn’t need much else to motivate either players or fans.

“There’s history behind these games,” Mason said. “It’s more than just two teams or two schools — it’s two states. Right now, I don’t sense any different focus with our team, but maybe that’s because we happen to have the Axe now.”

Indiana will travel north to Purdue to attempt to retain the Old Oaken Bucket in the 105th meeting between the in-state rivals. The Boilermakers had held the trophy for three consecutive years before the Hoosiers reclaimed it with a 13-7 victory last season.

Taking back the Bucket is especially important to Purdue’s 14 seniors, head coach Joe Tiller said.

“They had three good years and one where they weren’t successful, so you want to leave here with a good feeling,” Tiller said. “I don’t think the trophy is nearly as significant as the game itself because it’s against your rival school, and if you win it allows you to have bragging rights when you go out on the recruiting trail.”

Michigan State and Penn State will vie for the Land Grant trophy, while Northwestern will try to reclaim the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk from Illinois.

GOING BOWLING: Two of the season’s final meetings will also determine which Big Ten teams will play in the postseason — and at which bowl games.

Two teams’ bowl chances evaporated last weekend, as both Illinois and Michigan State needed to win their final two contests but fell short against Ohio State and Purdue.

But two other squads — Wisconsin and the Boilermakers — still have a shot at getting their sixth non-exempt win in the season’s final week. Five conference teams are already bowl eligible.

Wisconsin needs to beat Minnesota to break a five-game losing streak and make the postseason. The winner would likely play in the Alamo Bowl. And Purdue needs a win over Indiana to claim a spot in either the Music City or Motor City Bowl.

“I think bowls are very good rewards for players, and I think they’re something that really helps your program,” Badgers head coach Barry Alvarez said. “And it gives you a chance to get some good fundamental work with your young players before the spring.”

RUSH HOUR: In the wake of several incidents stemming from fans rushing the field at the end of games this season, Big Ten coaches stressed the importance of safety on the sidelines.

“Safety is a huge issue in venues with thousands of people who are emotional and enthusiastic,” Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said. “It’s something we need to address with our people and encourage our fans to act safely, just as we would our players.”

On Nov. 11, a Marshall fan was allegedly assaulted by a Miami (Ohio) assistant coach after storming the field to celebrate the Thundering Herd’s victory. And earlier this season, a Miami (Florida) fan taunted Florida State’s Xavier Beita after he missed a potentially game-winning field goal.