Big Ten teams in battle for bowl bids (Football)

With only two weeks left in the regular season, four Big Ten teams are battling it out for spots in the remaining two bowl games.

The Big Ten has a record-high seven bowl tie-ins this season: the Rose Bowl, Capital One, Outback, Alamo, Sunday, Music City and Motor City Bowls.

Heading into Saturday, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State and Penn State are already in line for bowl selections. The No. 2 Buckeyes are on the inside track for the Fiesta Bowl — this year’s championship game — on Jan. 3. But Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan State and Purdue control their own bowl destinies in the final two games.

After starting the season 5-0, the Badgers looked fated for the postseason but have lost five of six games since then. Although Barry Alvarez’s squad is currently 6-5 (1-5 Big Ten), Wisconsin’s win over Fresno State on Aug. 23 does not count toward its bowl eligibility.

Off-field problems have plagued the Badgers in the last two weeks. Tailback Anthony Davis was involved in a domestic dispute, and injured wide receiver Lee Evans was charged with marijuana possession.

“I think it did have some effect on the game because there was so much said and written, and it’s hard to eliminate that,” Alvarez said. “But I think those are by us now, and we can move forward.”

Even with their recent struggles, the Badgers still have the easiest route to bowl eligibility, needing a win in either of their two games to clinch a berth. Illinois, Michigan State and Purdue are all 4-6 and must win both of their final contests to play in the postseason.

The Fighting Illini have made up for a disappointing start to the season by winning three of their last four games. But head coach Ron Turner said finishing strong against Ohio State and Northwestern wouldn’t totally salvage their season.

“It wouldn’t completely overshadow (the start), but it would definitely help,” Turner said. “They say it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish, but if you start 1-5 it matters a lot.”

The Boilermakers may have an easier road to the postseason. They finish with Indiana and the Spartans in the last two weeks.

ON THE REBOUND: Michigan State dominated the Hoosiers in every facet of last week’s 56-21 win, giving Morris Watts a victory in his first game as interim head coach.

Quarterback Damon Dowdell has become comfortable in the Spartans’ offense in place of suspended Jeff Smoker.

Watts said Smoker will not play the rest of the season.

In the aftermath of off-field problems and the firing of Bobby Williams, Watts said he was pleased with his team’s ability to concentrate on the Indiana game.

“They were able to channel their emotions and maintain their focus throughout the game,” Watts said. “I really feel a great deal of gratitude toward how these young men grew up in a week’s time, with all the other things going on, to play a great football game.”

WE’RE NO. 1: With Oklahoma’s loss to Texas A&M, Ohio State moved into first place in the Bowl Championship Series rankings and will almost certainly play for the national championship if they win out.

The Buckeyes (11-0, 6-0) are the first Big Ten team to top the BCS standings since claiming the first spot on Nov. 2, 1998. Ohio State, No. 2 in both major polls, goes on the road to Illinois before coming home to face Michigan.

“Our kids have played tough and hard on the road,” head coach Jim Tressel said. “We’ve weathered some storms, but we understand we need to play better on the road because of what Illinois is doing.”