Ben Folds signed as 2nd show for A&O

Ben Folds will tickle the ivories in a concert at 8 p.m. Nov. 21 in Patten Gym, members of A&O Productions said Monday.

Tickets for Folds cost $5 and will go on sale 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Norris Box Office.

A&O Chairman Jonathan Berman said group members have been hoping to bring Folds to campus since last year.

“We’ve been keeping our eye on him for a while,” said Berman, a Weinberg senior.

The concert will be held exactly two weeks after A&O presented hip-hop group Jurassic 5 at a sold-out, on-campus concert.

Carise Yatter, a publicist for Atlantic Records, said Oct. 29 that Duncan Sheik would take the stage before Folds, but A&O would not confirm the concert’s opening act.

Folds, known for his piano skills and quirky lyrics, is on his second tour of the year, this time promoting a live album recorded during his first set of 2002 tours. Besides stopping at NU, Folds will play in Chicago on Nov. 27 show at The Vic Theatre.

The last time A&O presented two concerts during Fall Quarter was in 2000, when both George Clinton and Bob Dylan performed. Because the group had help in scheduling Dylan, this fall marks the first time A&O booked two artists on their own.

A&O member Brian Bockrath said the group is trying to book acts that appeal to students. He said he expects students to be excited for the Folds concert.

“How much more accessible could the concert be? It’s on campus, and the price is rock-bottom,” said Bockrath, a McCormick sophomore.

The practice of putting on a show earlier this year will help make Folds’ concert run smoothly, Berman said.

“Instead of organizing for six people onstage, like Jurassic 5, for Ben Folds it’s just him and a piano,” he said.

Although the group used their funding to bring two big-name artists to campus in the same quarter, Berman said A&O is expecting a full year. Organizers are working on a comedian and a speaker in February and are starting to plan for the A&O Ball to be held Spring Quarter.

Berman said the group also is looking at bringing a few off-campus shows to Nevin’s Live, 1450 Sherman Ave., as well as co-sponsoring a Black Arts Festival with For Members Only in the spring.

The Student Activities Finance Board recommended this fall that A&O receive an additional $74,926 in supplemental funding, a figure the Associated Student Government Senate approved.

A&O’s adviser Jeremy Wingerter said this year has been more successful for the group because of the executive board’s hard work.

“The frustrating thing last year was that students thought A&O was not doing anything, and that simply wasn’t the case,” said Wingerter, assistant director of the Campus Activities Office.

“I think now students realize (A&O is) being successful,” Wingerter said.

Weinberg senior Anjeni Keswani said she agrees the concert will boost A&O’s reputation as a group able to bring big-name acts to campus and is looking forward to Folds’ performance.

“I’m really excited because he’s one of my favorite songwriters,” she said. “He’s amazing.”

Ben Folds

8 p.m., Nov. 21

Patten Gym

What: A&O Fall Concert

Tickets: $5, available 10 a.m. Wednesday at Norris Center Box Office