Chicago family mourns death of son after fast-food lot slaying

Joseph Harry Isibor Fouche was going to school, trying to get his degree.

But those plans were cut short when the 19-year-old Chicago resident died after being shot twice late Thursday night.

Police discovered Fouche sprawled at 11:56 p.m in the parking lot of McDonald’s, 1117 Howard St., after reports of shots in the area. Fouche had been shot once in the head and once in the groin.

According to family members, before he died Fouche was beginning a computer course in electronic security systems at Lincoln Technical Institute.

“He was very goal-oriented,” said his father, Harry Fouche.

“He said, ‘Look, I want to do this in so many months and so many years and after that I’m going to continue on getting my next higher degree,'” Harry Fouche said.

Fouche described his son as a “nice” and “outgoing” youth who was active in church, and who loved basketball and rap music.

“The Haitian community is in tears, in mourning,” he said. “The African community is in tears, in mourning.”

Joseph Fouche’s death created a “very big void” but the family is getting a lot of comfort from friends, his father said. “The outpouring of support is enormous.”

Joseph Fouche had family from Nigeria to Canada, his father said.

“Throughout the world people are mourning the loss of this child,” Harry Fouche said.

He said police notified the family of Joseph Fouche’s death.

According to Harry Fouche, his son was carjacked while driving his mom’s car to pick up a friend in Evanston.

“His ID and everything were taken away,” Harry Fouche added. “He spent the whole day in the hospital unknown and alone.

“That’s the hardest part,” Harry Fouche said. Fouche died at 3:23 p.m. at St. Francis Hospital.

Cmdr. Michael Perry of Evanston Police Department could not comment on the details of the incident nor motives for the shooting.

“We never rule out anything,” Perry said. “We are following up on any leads.”

Harry Fouche said the family hopes for a quick closure to the incident.

“(We want) justice for this crime,” he said.

Funeral services will be held at 9 a.m. on Nov. 9 at Our Lady of Mercy Church, 4432 N. Troy St. in Chicago.

Fouche is survived by his father Harry, 49; his mother Veronica, 49; and sisters, Angela, 33, Sheila, 17, Djenane, 16, and Giovanna, 15. All are Chicago residents.