Shots on Howard result in death

An unidentified man was fatally wounded after being shot once in the head and once in the groin late Thursday night, police said.

Officers responded to a disturbance call saying a shot was heard on Howard Street at 11:56 p.m. Thursday night, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of Evanston Police Department.

Police found the man sprawled on the ground in a McDonald’s parking lot at 1117 Howard St., he said.

The man was taken to St. Francis Hospital, where he was pronounced dead Friday at 3:23 p.m.

Police described the deceased as a male between 17 and 24 years old, about six feet tall and approximately 200 pounds.

Perry said police are unsure of the motives in the shooting, and he could not comment on whether or not the incident was drug- or gang-related.

There are no suspects in the case, he said.

EPD and the North Regional Major Crimes Task Force (NORTAF) will continue to investigate the incident.

NORTAF is a team of regional law enforcement officials that investigates all major violent crimes in 11 communities, including Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette.

Authorities are asking anyone with information about this incident to call EPD at 847-866-5000, extension 5040, or NORTAF at 847-853-7580.

This is the second fatal shooting incident this year in Evanston.

On May 5, LaShaune Bishop, 21, was shot in the head and killed. Three others were wounded in the shooting, which occurred on the 1800 block of Brown Avenue.

Ten days later, NORTAF officers arrested Donivan Simmons, 18, of the 1900 block of Church Street, in connection with the shooting. Simmons was charged with two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.