Flat Cats pounded by unranked Wolverines (Men’s Soccer)

On its way to a 5-0 loss to conference-rival Michigan Sunday at Lakeside Field, the Northwestern men’s soccer team was in the wrong state of mind at the half.

“They seemed sad and not angry that we were down 3-0,” NU coach Tim Lenahan said. “Sometimes you just got to get angry.”

Anger would have been the appropriate response, as the Wildcats (7-9, 0-4 Big Ten) went on to lose by their largest margin of the season.

Michigan (7-6-1, 2-3) took advantage of its size and speed from the beginning, pressing hard on offense and defending well in the box.

Early in the first half, the NU defense managed to keep the Michigan offense under wraps. Possession remained even on both sides, with the Cats keeping the Wolverines’ shots to a minimum.

But momentum shifted in Michigan’s favor when Mike White scored in the 24th minute on assists by Adam Bruh and Ryan Sterba.

NU reacted immediately, stringing together several drives. After a Wolverines’ yellow card, the Cats’ Alexander Renzi had a near-goal in the low corner, but diving goalie Peter Dzubay stopped the shot just before the line.

The Cats couldn’t get the job done in the box against the larger Michigan backs. NU forced six corner kicks in the half but had nothing to show for it.

“We don’t match up well with them,” Lenahan said. “They made us pay for it. I can’t make my guys grow five inches and gain 20 pounds.”

The Wolverines notched their second score of the half when Knox Cameron, a six-time Under-20 U.S. National Team player, nailed a header off a corner kick from Bruh.

The Cats had another opportunity to score on an Eric Brin breakaway in a one-on-one situation, but Brin was stopped short by Dzubay.

NU fell victim again to Michigan’s offense as Mychal Turpin, the Wolverines’ points leader, scored his 10th goal of the season.

“This team definitely worked us and showed us how we want to be,” NU captain Steve Jedlinski said. “They finished on all of their opportunities, and we didn’t.”

The defense limited the Wolverines to six shots at the half, while NU kept pace with four.

Freshman Brian Heckenbach, who replaced starting goalkeeper J.D. Martin, made his first Big Ten appearance of the season because Lenahan wanted to give him conference experience.

While NU came out strong at halftime, it was quickly deflated when Cameron scored again in the 49th minute on a long pass from White.

Play became more physical as the half went on, with both teams piling up the fouls.

“I think it was part of what I told the guys, to get angry,” Lenahan said. “There was a little frustration, but it’s lessons learned.”

NU continued to counterattack, but to no avail. Close opportunities from Brin, Renzi and Jedlinski were all stopped in the box.

Trai Blanks’ goal in the 85th minute put the Wolverines up 5-0.

“We can’t give up 14 shots and give up five goals,” Lenahan said. “We just got our butts whooped today.”

The loss extended the Cats’ Big Ten losing streak, which began in 1999, to 15 games. With only three matches left, including two against conference foes Wisconsin and Ohio State, NU is looking to rebound from Sunday’s loss on Wednesday night at Loyola.

“We got to remember the feeling (of a big loss),” Jedlinski said. “Loyola’s been struggling lately, so it’s our opportunity to make a statement.

“As coach says, good teams never lose two in a row.”

MICH 5

NU 0