Despite litany of violations, city calls Evanston taxis reliable

Although Evanston police “strictly enforce” taxicab violations, both the city and cab associations say local taxi service is safe and reliable.

Police issued 20 citations among four drivers in a four-day period last week. Two of these were for meters that lacked seals, which could mean discrepancies in the amount a customer pays.

“(Drivers) have the meter inspected for time and how it charges over a mile course to make sure it’s not overcharging,” said Stephen O’Sullivan, license and measures inspector for the city.

But O’Sullivan said he does not think this is the chief problem with taxis.

“I find more meters that are running slow without the meter seals than those that are running fast,” O’Sullivan said.

Most violations are for issues connected to safety, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of Evanston Police Department.

“It’s possible that there could be something wrong with the cab that could endanger the passenger,” Perry said.

The citations issued range from expired inspection tickets to missing license plates. The cars cited were affiliated with Best Taxi Service and Norshore Cab Association. Most cabs in Evanston are affiliated with a cab association such as these two.

“The city is trying to get a handle on the taxicab industry to make sure cabs are safe for people,” said Sam Kinley, Jr., owner of Best Taxi. “If (drivers are) going to be out there working, (they’ve) got to make sure (their) tools are working.”

Kinley said he advises his drivers when inspections are nearing. He said he also tries to make sure vehicles are up to date, but ultimately the drivers are responsible for their own cars.

O’Sullivan said cab violations frequently are not indicative of unlawful business practices. In some instances, the time needed to update a sticker prevents a driver from finding a sufficient number of fares, and the driver simply neglects to do so, O’Sullivan said.

“I don’t think it’s anything they are doing on purpose,” he said.

Each car is required to display a city sticker, a chauffeur’s license, an Illinois Department of Transportation inspection sticker and an Illinois State insurance sticker.

The city sticker is $60 a year and the license is $125 a year. As long as drivers maintain these over an extended period, they can renew them through the mail on an annual basis, O’Sullivan said.

About 140 taxis are licensed for service in Evanston, O’Sullivan said. The city also regulates cab fares. The current cap on cab fares is $1.90 for the first quarter mile and 95 cents for each subsequent half mile. Waiting time, such as when stopped at a light, is 35 cents per minute. This prevents drivers from charging different rates for comparable service, he said.

“There’s only so much they can pad the fare,” O’Sullivan said.