A&O confirms $5 fall concert with hip-hop group Jurassic 5

Jurassic 5’s urban beat will echo across Patten Gym at 8 p.m. Nov. 7 in A&O Productions’ first concert of the year, members of A&O said Tuesday.

Because rules set by the Campus Activities Office prohibit A&O from promoting events until all of the paperwork is signed, the group could not confirm the concert last week, even though Jurassic 5’s Web site had a promotion for the show, A&O Chairman Jonathan Berman said.

Berman said he is excited to bring Jurassic 5’s unique sound to Northwestern.

“Jurassic 5 is a hip-hop lover’s band,” said Berman, a Weinberg senior. He added that he thinks the group will appeal even to students who usually do not listen to hip-hop.

A&O members said they hope Jurassic 5’s underground style will captivate the campus and that the $5 ticket price will appeal to budget-conscious students.

“It’s criminal not to go for $5,” said Brian Bockrath, an A&O concert committee member who helped research the group.

Tickets for the show go on sale at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Norris Box Office. Patten can hold 800 people, Berman said, and a venue of that size easily should sell out.

Last spring A&O posted a survey on its Web site asking students what musical acts they would like to see on campus. Some students expressed interest in Jurassic 5, Bockrath said.

Last year A&O tried to bring the musicians to campus, but scheduling problems prevented their coming.

“This time it was perfect,” said Bockrath, a McCormick sophomore.

A&O usually presents two concerts during Fall Quarter. So far only the contract for Jurassic 5 is set, but the group is optimistic about scheduling another band, Berman said.

Jurassic 5, a six-man hip-hop act, is currently touring the United States to promote its second full-length album, “Power In Numbers.” The Los Angeles-based musicians spent this past summer performing on the Smokin’ Grooves Tour with Outkast, Lauryn Hill and The Roots.

After forming in 1993, Jurassic 5 put out a self-titled album four years later, followed by “Quality Control” in 2000. “Power In Numbers” was available in stores Oct. 8.

Opening for Jurassic 5 are the Beatnuts, a hip-hop duo who met in New York and completed its latest album “Take It or Squeeze It” in 2001.

Weinberg sophomore Alex Thurston, said he is looking forward to seeing Jurassic 5 on campus.

“They have really positive, feel-good, party-atmosphere hip-hop with some thought behind it, and they work together in an impressive way,” he said.