Willard’s fest lures fun back to campus

Evanston residents could find relief from party-going students this weekend as the annual Frances Willard party unofficially wraps up the Freshman Freeze.

The Freshman Freeze, which ends at midnight Saturday, prohibits freshmen from entering a fraternity house for the first few weeks of Fall Quarter.

“It definitely puts a stigma on the fraternities,” Interfraternity Council President James Troupis said. “Finally we can bring things back to campus where it’s safer and just a better environment for students.”

More than two weeks after Northwestern administrators and community members met to address rowdy off-campus parties, noise and trash still pollute some neighborhoods on the weekends, police said.

“I can’t say that I’ve noticed any change,” Lt. Nick Parashis of University Police said. “You have to give it some time to gauge if anything is changing.”

Sgt. Sam Pettineo of Evanston Police Department could not say how much the situation has changed, but the winter weather might cool off the party scene. He said calls from the community are still coming in at significant levels.

“Nobody’s trying to stifle people having fun,” Pettineo said. “We would like the students to police themselves.”

Willard Residential College is throwing its annual mock tribute to its prohibitionist namesake Saturday night.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a baby pool of jello sitting out in the hallway, or a game of naked twister or slip ‘n’ slide,” Willard president Nafis Ahmed said. “It’s going to be the same traditional party we’ve had every year.”

Residential Life Assistant Director Lance Phillips said he wasn’t concerned about student drinking getting out of hand.

“The Willard Party is a dry event,” he said. “This isn’t a party with alcohol where people drink. There is a hall decorating contest and then a main dance.”

Phillips met with Willard hall government in advance to discuss safety regulations at the party.

Staff will focus this year on crowd control with designated entrances and exits and a strictly enforced guest list, Phillips said.

“The main issue last year was that there was too much chaos at the front gate,” Ahmed said. “It’s the biggest party on campus and everybody wants to be there.”

Ahmed, a Communication sophomore, said he discussed safety and security issues with Residential Life, but they never tried to discourage Willard from throwing the party.

“They know how much pride Willard has in throwing this awesome party,” Ahmed said. “I’m quite confident that it will go off without a hitch.”

Communication freshman Caleb Lawson said the party will help inaugurate the on-campus party season and stop freshmen from roaming between off-campus parties.

He said the Freshman Freeze policy didn’t bother him.

“I understand why they do it, even though it definitely doesn’t cut down on freshmen drinking,” Lawson said. “Parties will just be easier to find and a lot easier to get to.”