Police wait for toxicology tests in Kendall student death case

Officials still are unsure of the causes involved in Oct. 9 death of a 20-year-old Kendall College student who was discovered in his bed by a friend, though the body was sent in for a toxicology examination.

The student lived in a single room in Terra Hall, one of the college’s dormitories. Sources told The Daily the student moved into the building three weeks prior to his death.

The autopsy findings will not be available for six to eight weeks, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of Evanston Police Department. Foul play is not suspected in the death, he said last week.

A toxicology exam tests for traces of legal and illegal substances in a person’s blood.

Neither the police nor Kendall administrators have released the identity of the student. The school is not planning a memorial service for the student, Kendall President Howard Tullman said Monday.

A letter written last week by Tullman and posted around the campus indicated that the death may have been drug-related.

Some students said they were offended by the tone of the letter, which blamed them for the student’s death.

In the letter Tullman said, “For those of his ‘friends’ closest to him on campus, they should ask themselves about their own complicity and responsibility for (the student’s) death.”

He declined to comment on the situation last night but said no new information was available.

Students on Thursday were concerned about the incident but moving on.

One student, who asked not to be identified, said he heard rumors of drug abuse by the deceased student, but he had not seen anything to confirm the rumors.

Others described the deceased student as “quiet,” “sweet” and “intelligent.”