Grounding Clarett top priority for NU

Northwestern football coach Randy Walker knows all of the numbers: 31, the number of years since the Wildcats last beat Ohio State; 13, the jersey number of Ohio State running back and Heisman Trophy candidate Maurice Clarett; 25, the number of points the Buckeyes are favored by.

But Walker doesn’t care about the numbers. He only cares about the outcome of the game between NU (2-3, 0-1 Big Ten) and No. 5 Ohio State (5-0, 1-0) at Ryan Field Saturday at 6 p.m.

“If the oddsmakers were always right we would not have to play and could just sit around and play video games,” Walker said. “Nobody is giving us a chance, but we believe we have a chance.”

To win their first game in Evanston against the Buckeyes since 1958, the Cats will need to contain Clarett. The true freshman is averaging more than 143 yards per game, 2.5 touchdowns per game and 6.8 yards per carry.

Behind him, the Buckeyes have outscored opponents 189-8. They have encountered only one true test, a 23-19 come-from-behind win at Cincinnati.

“I know they’re going to be geared up to stop our running game because we’ve been able to run so well in the first few games,” Clarett said. “They play with a lot of enthusiasm, and they tackle really well.”

Walker hasn’t been nearly as impressed with his team’s tackling. He said they need to do better getting off blocks and flowing to the ball. But this will be no easy task against a team that averages 232 rushing yards per game.

All five of Ohio State’s offensive lineman are upperclassmen. Their average weight is 303 pounds, 34 pounds heavier than the average NU defensive lineman. The Buckeyes usually line up either with two tight ends or a tight end and fullback to block for Clarett.

“They are real direct and take it right at you,” Walker said. “But we still need to get off blocks, find the football and make some tackles.”

To no surprise, the Buckeyes prefer to run first and pass second. First-year starting quarterback Craig Krenzel averages only 132 yards passing, but the junior quarterback has completed 63 percent of his passes and has several dangerous weapons on the outside.

Michael Jenkins is the team’s top receiver and had a season-high seven catches and two touchdowns in a 45-17 victory over Indiana last week. Also, Chris Gamble and Chris Vance are two 6-foot-2 speedsters.

But even with a trio of talented receivers to defend, the NU secondary knows it is going to have to help the front line slow Clarett.

“If he gets outside I will have to tackle him,” senior cornerback Raheem Covington said. “I mean it may be painful at times, but I will try to hit him and bring all 185 pounds of me and make him not want to come to my side again.”

On the other side of the ball, the Cats will be facing an experienced defense that has yielded only 16 points a game. The Buckeyes have five seniors, five juniors and one sophomore on a unit that has allowed only 73.2 rushing yards a game.

Kent State is the only team to run for more than 100 yards against Ohio State’s defense, which has allowed only one rushing touchdown this year. And run or pass, the Buckeyes have been the best red zone defense in the Big Ten, holding opponents scoreless in eight of 15 attempts.

“We have to continue to have a good balance on offense,” Walker said. “For us to be successful, we need a good run-pass mix and take our shots downfield.”

But Ohio State strong safety Mike Doss, a two-time All-American, and free safety Donnie Nickey, a four-year starter, will make throwing deep a difficult task.

And finding time in the pocket will not be easy for NU quarterback Brett Basanez. Buckeyes defensive ends Will Smith and Darrion Scott have combined for seven sacks this season. Their pass rush has helped alleviate pressure on two cornerbacks who have combined to start only 13 games.

“They’re the best team we have played in the first five weeks,” Walker said. “But we have a good game plan and believe we can win.”