Poor first half, inexperience lead to men’s soccer defeat

One would think a team that hasn’t won a Big Ten game since 1999 would be used to losing.

But despite playing shutout ball in the second half against a high-powered Michigan State offense, the Wildcats (4-5, 0-1 Big Ten) left East Lansing, Mich., with a 1-0 loss — and a disappointing start to the Big Ten season.

“There’s no moral victory here,” NU head coach Tim Lenahan said. “Do you know what they call people who get satisfaction from losing? Losers.”

NU had a particularly ineffective first half Sunday and was unable to get a shot past the Spartans’ defense. Starting seven freshmen, Lenahan said inexperience was a factor in the poor first-half play.

“I don’t think we competed the way we should have in the first half,” he said. “I think they took it to us.”

No. 22 Michigan State (6-2, 1-1) played a very direct offense, using the long ball to drop in behind defenders. That strategy paid off as the Spartans struck midway through the first half with a goal off the foot of Chris Hearn, putting them up 1-0. By the end of the game, the Spartans had outshot NU, 15-6.

The second half was a complete turnaround for the Cats, who nearly tied the game in the final five minutes. After a blocked direct kick, Michigan State goalkeeper Tyler Robinson made a fantastic save on midfielder Kevin Earnest’s header off the ensuing corner kick.

“He made a big-time save,” Lenahan said.

Lenahan attributed his team’s reversal in the second half mostly to its ability to adapt to and learn from mistakes.

“I kind of got on them a little bit, just on being a little passive and letting the other team get to us,” Lenahan said. “(The freshmen) were kind of in awe playing in the Big Ten, so it took a little bit of time to respond. They have to just realize you have to raise the level a little bit.”

Lenahan also was pleased with his defense’s ability to match up against the Spartans’ offense, citing the play of his central defenders Jaro Pylypczak and Brad Napper and goalkeeper J.D. Martin, who had a solid day in the net with eight saves.

But despite the inspired play of the Cats in the second half, Lenahan said his young squad needs to get used to the heightened level of competition in the Big Ten.

“We need to bring a certain level of emotion for the whole game,” he said. “I don’t think we did a good job holding on to the ball and creating opportunities until the last few minutes.”

The Cats won’t get any breaks as they return home for their next contest against a tough Penn State team (6-4, 1-1). But although it lost Sunday, NU might have sent an important message to the rest of the Big Ten.

“Michigan State’s a conference power,” Martin said. “We showed that we’re not the doormat of the Big Ten and we’re going to compete in every game.”