Hawkeyes stifle Penn State comeback in OT

Iowa 42, Penn State 35, OT: Penn State’s attempt to come back from a 23-point deficit fell short as Iowa (4-1, 1-0 Big Ten) upset the No. 12 Nittany Lions in Happy Valley.

Hawkeyes’ quarterback Brad Banks threw for 261 yards and four touchdowns in their third straight win over Penn State and second consecutive victory at the recently expanded Beaver Stadium.

Trailing 35-13 at the start of the fourth quarter Penn State sophomore quarterback Zack Mills appeared ready to lead the Nittany Lions (3-1, 0-1) to another of his trademark comeback wins. Mills (school record 399 passing yards) connected with three Johnsons — Larry, Tony and Bryant — for touchdowns to tie the game at 35 at the end of regulation.

But Banks found C.J. Jones for a six-yard score in overtime, and Iowa’s defense snuffed out an attempted screen to Michael Robinson on fourth down to seal the victory.

Michigan 45, Illinois 28: The Wolverines scored 31 consecutive points and quarterback John Navarre threw four touchdown passes as No. 14 Michigan (4-1, 1-0) won a matchup of the Big Ten’s best teams in 2001.

Last year’s conference champion, Illinois (1-4, 0-1), is off to its worst start since going 0-11 in 1997. Jon Beutjer threw for two scores in the first quarter, but the Wolverines contained the Fighting Illini’s dangerous passing attack for the rest of the game. Beutjer threw two interceptions after passing for 703 yards and eight scores in his last two games.

Navarre answered critics by hitting Braylon Edwards and Bennie Joppru for second-quarter touchdowns to stake the Wolverines to a 28-13 halftime lead in Champaign.

Ohio State 45, Indiana 17: Freshman sensation Maurice Clarett returned from knee surgery to rush for 104 yards and three touchdowns as the sixth-ranked Buckeyes (5-0, 1-0) beat the Hoosiers (2-3, 0-1) for the 10th straight game.

The Buckeyes narrowly defeated Cincinnati last week without Clarett, who rushed seven times for 53 yards in the second half. Indiana was hurt by several costly dropped passes as Ohio State pulled away in the third quarter.

Leading 21-10 at the half, the Buckeyes scored on a 43-yard reverse by wide receiver Chris Gamble. Cornerback Dustin Fox blocked Ryan Hamre’s punt on the Hoosiers’ next possession and Ohio State quarterback Craig Krenzel hit Michael Jenkins in the endzone four plays later.

Hoosiers’ quarterback Gibran Hamdan withstood a relentless pass rush by the Buckeyes to finish 16 of 26 for 210 yards.

Purdue 28, Minnesota 15: Safety Ralph Turner returned an interception for a touchdown and forced a fumble that led to another score as the Boilermakers (3-2, 1-0) ruined Minnesota’s attempt to start 5-0 for the first time under head coach Glen Mason.

The Golden Gophers (4-1, 0-1) entered the game hoping to continue the success they enjoyed during their soft non-conference schedule, but quarterback Asad Abdul-Khaliq struggled to a 16-for-48, 233 yard performance. Abdul-Khaliq entered the game leading the nation in passing efficiency.

Purdue fumbled three times in the first half and the Gophers led 9-7 at the break, but Turner intercepted Abdul-Khaliq’s first pass of the third quarter and sprinted 23 yards for the score.

Turner’s blind-side hit on Abdul-Khaliq late in the third popped the ball loose. The Boilermakers recovered and Kyle Orton connected with defensive end Shaun Phillips, playing as a receiver, across the middle for a three-yard score.