Evjen returns from knee injury in time for invitational

When the Northwestern cross country team attends the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis this weekend for the third straight year, the team hopes to benefit from two things: a week of rest and the return of its most important member, top runner Rachel Evjen.

While NU head coach Amy Tush rested the starting squad last week, the Cats finished 17th in the Midwest Open. Tush hopes the break will pay off when NU faces stiff competition from a 30-team field that includes Oklahoma, Columbia and Marquette.

The return of Evjen is key for the Cats. The senior has started almost every race since joining the team three years ago and has been the Cats’ best runner for the past two seasons.

During the 2001 Roy Griak Invitational, in which the Cats placed 16th overall, Evjen was the first NU runner to cross the finish line and placed 23rd overall. In 2000 she was also NU’s fastest runner, finishing 22nd.

Until she hurt her right knee this preseason, she had only missed three races in her collegiate career.

While Evjen has been on the mend, senior Nicole Kuznia has made the most noticeable improvement.

Kuznia has consistently been one of the top five runners on the squad and led the Cats to a win in the season opener at Illinois State by capturing her first-ever individual title.

“Nicole has stepped up a lot this year,” said Tush. “She’s been our hardest worker, and I’m very pleased with her.”

Last year, Kuznia finished 38th at the Big Ten championships, less than a minute behind teammate Evjen. She also hails from Minnesota, and expects to bring a large cheering section to this Saturday’s race.

“Nicole worked really hard during the off-season,” Evjen said. “She’s been the top runner in all our workouts so far. She may even beat me this weekend.”

Other promising runners, including Diana Hossfeld and Laura Evans, will try to take advantage of their familiarity with the hilly, six-kilometer course.

This weekend’s race is crucial for a successful NU season. It is the first of three important meets before the Big Ten championships Nov. 3, as well as the first time this season that the Cats will be tested by nationally ranked teams.

But most importantly, the Cats are holding their breath to see how well Evjen’s knee will hold up.

“It feels much better,” said Evjen, who has been running with the team during practices. “But every race is different, and I haven’t raced yet this year.”

NU at Roy Griak Invitational

Noon, Saturday

Les Bolstad

Golf Course

Minneapolis