Oinking to get their voices heard

Go ahead and laugh. Dig deep and find a full-bellied snort — you can join in with Jeffrey Galusha’s car: a huge, oinking, pink pig.

Galusha, of San Diego, is a member of the TrueMajority Parade and is crossing the country in themed vehicles, snorting out his party’s message. On Tuesday, the parade came to Evanston.

TrueMajority, founded by Ben Cohen of Ben & Jerry’s, is a free e-mail service that monitors Congress and allows recipients to directly fax Congress members about different issues.

“I’ve got a master’s degree and at first it felt a bit silly, but the cause is right,” Galusha said. “If I have to drive around in a pig … whatever it takes to get our message out.”

The goal of the Web site and parade is to give the public a “louder” voice, said tour manager Jeff Dolan, of Boston.

After the Sept. 11 attacks, Cohen felt “there needed to be a better answer than just more guns and more bombs,” Dolan said.

The parade started in Burlington, Vt., and has toured for four months. The group plans to travel across the country for a total of 10 months before reaching the West Coast in March.

The TrueMajority car is covered with about 15,000 yellow and green plastic soldiers.

“We say (the car) represents the unheard voices,” Dolan said.

The Envirocar is topped by an inflatable tree that deflates when the car switches from battery power to gas, protesting oil usage and dependence on foreign oil.

Pentagon Pig, also known as the “Three Piggies” car, protests government spending.

The last car shows a huge pie chart that breaks down how the government spends money.

The group was headed to Loyola University Chicago to speak at a peace education course Tuesday. They will be in Lincoln Park on Thursday protesting the war against Iraq.

“We’re just snorting against the war,” Galusha said.