Police offer a $1,000 reward for leads in local murder case

A $1,000 reward is being offered for any tips to help police shut the book on the May 5 shooting that left one Evanston mother dead and three others injured.

Police are following all leads but there have been no breaks in the case, said Cmdr. Michael Perryof the Evanston Police Department.

Though EPD is not able to increase the number of cars they have on patrol, Perry said they are trying to “show presence” in specific areas in order to reassure residents.

Authorities are hoping that both the patrolling and the reward money will prompt residents to come forward with any information about the shooting.

“No matter how long it takes, some people are willing to come forward. The police can’t do it all by themselves,” Perry said. “Time is on our side. At some point, it may play on someone’s conscience and someone may come forward.”

LaShaune Bishop, 21, of the 1900 block of Emerson Street, was shot and killed May 5 while standing on a sidewalk on the 1800 block of Brown Avenue.

Fallon King, 19, shot once in the neck and once in the back, still is in critical condition at Evanston Hospital.

Perry said King has not been able to provide police with any information regarding the shooting.

Robert Gresham, 19, and DeShawn Lewis, of Hoffman Estates, Ill., were both shot once in the leg. They were treated and released from Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave. Neither was available for comment this weekend.

Authorities are asking residents to call EPD at (847) 866-5000, the North Regional Major Crimes Task Force at (847) 853-7580, or Cook County Crime Stoppers Plus at 1-800-535-STOP.

Crime Stoppers, the organization providing the reward money, is a cooperative effort between law enforcement agencies and the community to solicit anonymous tips that lead to an arrest.

“It all comes down to witnesses or later on, through some evidence that might come up,” Perry said.