The big picture

With only two weeks of play remaining, everything is up for grabs in the Big Ten. Every team has a mathematical chance to win the title – and to completely miss the playoffs.

Each baseball game this weekend between Northwestern and Michigan at Rocky Miller Park is critical. Both the Wildcats (19-24, 10-12 Big Ten) and the Wolverines (16-28, 10-14) need to win the series to keep their playoff hopes alive.

“Michigan is a good team, and the two Co-Big Ten Pitchers of the Week will be pitching this weekend,” NU coach Paul Stevens said. “Pitching is the key for our team and the rest will take care of itself.”

NU and Michigan are two of the five teams in the Big Ten with 10 conference wins, and neither would make the six-team playoffs if they were to start today. But both teams can play their way into the tournament.

Michigan is in the conference cellar, only two games behind third-place Illinois. The Cats, currently in seventh place, are only one game behind the Fighting Illini. Eight Big Ten teams are separated by only two games, and four of those eight will advance to the tournament.

“Every club has a real opportunity to make the playoffs, and it will make for a real exciting stretch run,” Stevens said. “We’re not scared of anybody, and know we can play with any team in the Big Ten.”

1. Minnesota (26-20, 14-6)

7-3 in last 10 Big Ten games; team batting average .329, team ERA 4.85

Remaining opponents: vs. Iowa and at Ohio State

The top team in the conference has swept Indiana and Purdue in consecutive series. The Golden Gophers feature slugger Luke Appert, who is batting .390 and has hit 11 home runs. Minnesota also has three quality starting pitchers and is the third-best hitting team in the Big Ten. The team’s series with Ohio State in the final weekend could determine the league champion.

2. Ohio State (29-15-1, 15-8)

5-5 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .307, ERA 4.08 Remaining opponents: vs. Michigan State and vs. Minnesota

One of the conference’s most talented teams has not played well in the second half. The Buckeyes sport an ERA that’s .57 better than the second-place team, NU. Ohio State also has the best pitcher in Nate Smith (2.13 ERA). The Buckeyes have two other starters with ERAs of less than 3.50. Two challenging series remain on Ohio State’s schedule.

3. Illinois (27-13, 11-11)

6-4 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .292, ERA 4.70

Remaining opponents: vs. Penn State and at Iowa

Illinois took two of three from Minnesota last weekend to move into third place. Left fielder Drew Davidson has smashed eight home runs and is batting .370. Illinois’ pitching is led by ace Andy Dickinson and his 9-2 record. The final series at Iowa will be a test for the Illini.

3. Michigan State (30-15, 11-11)

4-6 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .336, ERA 4.88

Remaining opponents: vs. Ohio State and at Penn State

Michigan State has a dangerous lineup with four hitters batting over .375. On the mound, the Spartans have two quality starters with Nick Bates (9-2) and Tim Day (8-3). The Spartans will need to get more quality outings from pitchers besides Bates and Day. This weekend series against Ohio State will be a test for the Michigan State.

5. Indiana (29-15, 10-11)

3-7 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .337, ERA 4.70

Remaining opponents: at Purdue and at NU

After an 8-3 start in league play, Indiana has struggled in the second half of the season and plays the remainder of its games on the road. The Hoosiers are the top hitting team in the conference. Indiana has the conference’s top hitter in center fielder Kennard Jones (.421) and third baseman Vasili Spanos is third in the conference with a .396 average.

6. Purdue (21-26, 11-13)

2-8 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .277, ERA 5.94

Remaining opponents: vs. Indiana and at Michigan

Purdue is in the midst of a six-game conference losing streak, and its offense has been in a slump of late. No Purdue hitter is batting over .350. Boilermakers ace Chad Blasko is the only pitcher with an ERA of less than four on the worst pitching staff in the conference. Purdue has a chance to get back on track against Indiana, another struggling team.

7. NU (19-24, 10-12)

6-4 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .272, ERA 4.65

Remaining opponents: vs. Michigan and vs.

Indiana

NU has played well in its last three Big Ten series. The Wildcats have the second-best ERA in the conference. Ryan Bos has the third lowest ERA individually at 2.74, and teammate Zach Schara is right behind him in the league statistics with a 2.86 ERA. The Cats have demonstrated power of late, hitting six home runs last weekend alone.

8. Penn State (21-23, 10-13)

7-3 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .298, ERA 5.51

Remaining opponents: at Illinois and vs. Michigan State

Penn State has played well in the second half of the season after a poor start. Outfielder Wes Reohr is hitting .403, and second baseman Mike DeRenzo is batting .367. The problem for the Nittany Lions is finding a No. 1 starter. Penn State has only one pitcher with an ERA of less than five, Mike Watson (4.04).

8. Iowa (21-24-1, 10-13)

7-3 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .270, ERA 4.84

Remaining opponents: at Minnesota and vs. Illinois

Iowa is one of the hottest teams in the conference. “Iowa’s playing extremely well and they have a lot of energy right now,” Stevens said after the Cats faced Iowa last weekend. The Hawkeyes are the worst hitting team in the Big Ten, but they have a deep pitching staff. This weekend’s series against the top team in the league will provide a real test for Iowa.

10. Michigan (16-28, 10-14)

4-6 in last 10 Big Ten games; BA .280, ERA 5.10

Remaining opponents: at NU and vs. Purdue

Michigan is in last place but has a chance to make up ground in its final two series. Junior left hander Rich Hill was named National Player of the Week after striking out 17 batters in nine innings. On offense, the Wolverines are led by Brock Koman, who is hitting .381.