Golfers tie for 14th in first round

Led by a strong performance from sophomore Lauren Grzebien, the Northwestern women’s golf team finished the first day of NCAA Regionals tied for 14th place.

Grzebien is tied for 22nd place individually after shooting 6-over 78 on Thursday.

Thunderstorms delayed the start of play for several hours, pushing the first tee time to approximately 1:30.

NU freshman Ina Kim and her older sister, sophomore Hana, each shot a 10-over 82, while junior Elizabeth Burden notched NU’s fourth-best score with an 83. Senior Emily Gilley’s 88 was dropped.

The 13th-seeded Wildcats tallied a team score of 37-over 325, which equalled Kansas State. Kent State leads the 21-team tournament with a 16-over 304, while four Big Ten teams are in the top seven.

The top eight finishers at the meet advance to the NCAA championships later this month. Texas Christian holds the coveted eighth spot after one round with a score of 314, 11 shots better than the Cats.

NU coach Chris Regenberg and the players could not be reached for comment Thursday night.

Baylor’s Melanie Hagewood tops the individual scoreboard with a 2-under 70. Ohio State’s Mollie Fankhauser, who has won two straight Big Ten titles, shot 77 to tie for 15th.

NU tied for 15th at the 2001 regional meet after finishing second in 2000.

This year’s Central Regional is being played at Forest Akers West Golf Course in East Lansing, Mich., which has been renovated since the last time NU played at the Michigan State home course.

If the Cats are going to improve in the second and third rounds today and Saturday, they’ll likely need a boost from the elder Kim, who was NU’s top finisher at the Big Ten championships.