Darmody one of 12 named to inaugural all-ALC squad

Northwestern’s Kate Darmody was named Tuesday to the 12-member All-American Lacrosse Conference team.

“I’m excited for Kate,” NU head coach Kelly Amonte Hiller said in a statement. “She was our best defender all year long, and it is rewarding to see her recognized by the other coaches in the conference for her efforts.”

The freshman forced 21 turnovers in 15 games for the 5-10 Wildcats and often lined up against the opponent’s top offensive player.

The Cats’ season ended Saturday with a loss to No. 10 Vanderbilt.

Cathy Swezey, head coach at Vanderbilt, was tabbed the league’s Coach of the Year. Swezey’s Commodores went undefeated in the ALC and earned the school’s first bid to the NCAA championships.

Ohio State’s Megan Mirick and Regina Oliver were chosen as Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year, respectively.

– Seth Freedland

CSCAA gives NU’s Groseth Richard E. Steadman Award

NU men’s swimming coach Bob Groseth was awarded the 2002 Richard E. Steadman Award on Tuesday.

Groseth, who has coached the Cats for 13 seasons, was named Big Ten Coach of the Year after NU finished fourth at the Big Ten championships in February. The Cats finished 19th at NCAAs.

Steadman was president of the College Swim Coaches Assocation of America and leader of the International Swimming Hall of Fame.

The award has been given by the CSCAA since 1991 and “is conferred annually to a swimming or diving coach who … has done the most to spread joy and happiness in Coach Steadman’s beloved sport of swimming and diving.”

Groseth will be given his award at the CSCAA national convention in Tampa Bay, Fla., later this month.