NU hurlers called on to protect slim lead over Iowa

The Northwestern baseball team relies more on its pitching than its hitting. So does Iowa.

The Wildcats (17-21, 8-10 Big Ten) lost their first three Big Ten series but have won the last two. So did the Hawkeyes.

Something will have to give in this weekend’s four-game series between NU and Iowa (19-20, 8-11) this weekend at Banks Stadium.

“Iowa is one game behind us, so we’re the favorites,” NU sophomore Josh Lieberman said. “We’re hot and even though we’re playing there, they’re going to have to beat us.”

The two teams have the same number of conference victories (eight), but the Cats have a leg up in the standings because they have one fewer loss.

The Cats and Hawkeyes also find themselves next to each other in conference statistics. NU is ninth in team batting average, while Iowa is 10th. NU is third in the conference in ERA, with Iowa right behind in fourth.

“We’re probably really similar teams, and stats seldom ever lie in baseball,” senior Gabe Ribas said. “This will probably be one of the better series this season, and hopefully we can take three of four.”

If the Cats want to win the series, they will need Ribas and their other two starting senior pitchers, Zach Schara and Ryan Bos, to keep them in the games.

Ribas and Schara allowed only three runs in 17 innings last weekend. Bos, who has a 3.09 ERA, has been one of the Cats’ most consistent starters but has recently experienced soreness in his shoulder. Despite the scare, a precautionary MRI came back negative, clearing him to start against Iowa.

NU’s fourth starter, Dan Konecny, has mono and will not pitch against Iowa. Sophomore pitcher Dan Pohlman will replace Konecny in the rotation against Iowa.

Pohlman threw four scoreless innings in Tuesday’s 6-5 loss to Wisconsin-Milwaukee after allowing four runs in the first inning. He has started four games this year, posting a 2-2 record.

“Tuesday, Pohlman showed what type of character he has because he did not fold but continued to battle,” NU coach Paul Stevens said. “I’m really excited about our play, and we really tightened up our shoes, notched another loop in our belts and dug in during the last game.”

The Cats have beared down in the past couple of weeks, going 5-2 in their last two conference series – the same record Iowa has during this span.

Behind the hitting of Big Ten Player of the Week Kyle Thousand and third basemen Ian Mattiace, the Hawkeyes have won consecutive series against fourth-place Purdue and third-place Michigan State. Thousand had 12 RBIs last week, and Mattiace enters the series hitting .375.

“We need to execute on the mound and keeping swinging the bats well,” Adams said. “We also need to get the bunts down because we have been struggling in that area lately.”

The Cats know the series with Iowa is important in the competitive Big Ten playoff race. NU is optimistic about its chances heading into its final Big Ten road series.

“I like our guys, and I’m not putting down (Iowa coach) Scott Broghamer’s guys,” Stevens said. “I’m looking to win every game, and I’m not looking for a split.”