Just call him Rudy: Hayes batting, fielding 1.000

It’s a little unusual to see a freshman shortstop leading the Northwestern baseball team in hitting and fielding.

But it’s flat-out shocking that this player is not Jon Mikrut, who has started 36 of 37 games at short for the Wildcats (17-20) – it’s Chris Hayes.

The freshman from north suburban Lake Forest is batting 1.000, has committed no errors this season and might have the biggest smile on the team.

“Chris is a throwback player who loves to play the game,” Stevens said. “Every day he plays with that attitude like it’s his first Little League game.”

Hayes has appeared in seven collegiate games, making three plate appearances. He hit a single in his first career at-bat against Drexel on March 23, then had a sacrifice fly and a walk in NU’s loss to Chicago State on April 2.

“I joke around with all the guys that I’m leading the team, and I guess the nation, in hitting,” Hayes said. “It’s just a joke and it’s not anything to write home about.”

Hayes has seen most of his action this year in the field. He has come in as a defensive replacement when Mikrut takes to the hill, and his defensive prowess has impressed NU coach Paul Stevens.

“He came in against Penn State and gobbled up three balls and helped secure a win,” Stevens said. “He might not have had the opportunity that some of other players had because of how well Mikrut has played, but he is very optimistic.”

Hayes has not played in many games but has still found ways to contribute. He showed a good work ethic in winter practices, and he became the Cats’ third-string catcher even though he has never played catcher in his life.

“People forget that players that help you out in practice are just important as those who help you in the game,” senior Gabe Ribas said. “Chris is so enthusiastic, and he really helps keep all the older guys motivated.”

Motivation has been a problem for the Cats in Tuesday nonconference games this season.

Today’s 3 p.m. matchup against Wisconsin-Milwaukee (18-14) will be NU’s fifth nonconference game since starting Big Ten play. After losing the first to Chicago State four weeks ago, the Cats have run off three straight midweek victories.

“We want to get a few guys back on the right track,” Stevens said. “I will be a happy camper if we can continue to improve our defense and swing the bats well.”

NU’s offense seems to be clicking after smashing three home runs last weekend against Illinois, beating the Fighting Illini’s top two pitchers in the process.

Stevens plans to play his starters today at Rocky Miller Park, even though the game doesn’t count toward Big Ten tournament eligibility.

“We are going to give the playing time to out starters that need work,” Stevens said. “Honestly, you will see the same lineup on the field that you will see this weekend, unless we get a big lead.”

The Cats will not have an easy time scoring against the Panthers. Wisconsin-Milwaukee pitchers have a 3.60 ERA in their last six games and have led the Panthers to seven wins in the team’s last eight games.

“Heck, I want to win every time we step on the field,” Stevens said. “But the key is we need to play like we did last weekend.”

The Cats received two exceptional pitching outings from seniors Gabe Ribas and Zach Schara last weekend, but NU is going to need some of its relievers to step up after discovering Friday that starter Dan Konecny has mono.

Stevens will be looking at a slew of pitchers Tuesday, but he is more concerned with his team’s outlook – an area where Hayes is a leader.

“On Tuesday we all need to have that attitude,” Stevens said, “because attitude determines altitude.”