Pitchers get help from live NU bats

The Northwestern baseball team finally gave its pitchers the run support they needed against Penn State last weekend. And the outcome? The team took three of four from Penn State and won its first Big Ten series this season.

The Wildcats (14-19, 6-9 Big Ten) had 40 hits in the four games, but more importantly, they strung hits together to score 27 runs. It was the most runs they have scored in any series this year.

“I think we got the two-out base hits this weekend, where we didn’t at Purdue,” NU coach Paul Stevens said. “I’m a lot more comfortable with our bats now.”

One of the main reasons Stevens has more confidence in his offense is the emergence of Jason Krynski. The sophomore first baseman had two home runs on Friday, and his 5-for-11 performance this weekend pushed his average to .318 for the season.

“Krynski has made things kind of interesting with having to move some guys around,” Stevens said.

One hitter who will remain a fixture in the center of the Cats’ order is right fielder Brandon Ackley. Ackley went 6 of 16 this weekend and raised his average to .309. With Krynski and Ackley’s efforts against the Nittany Lions, NU now has five starters hitting over .300.

Human Wall: NU catcher Ken Padgett has sacrificed his body this year, both behind the plate and in the batters box. The junior was plunked twice this weekend, and he has been hit a Big Ten-leading five times.

“I mean, I stand pretty close to the plate,” Padgett said. “I got hit a lot last year, too, so it has happened my whole life.”

Padgett led the team last year with eight hit by pitches, and he has already been nailed nine times this season.

“We’ll see if I can get hit a couple more times this year,” the catcher said. “I probably roll into it a little bit, but you kind of have to sometimes to get the call.”

Who’s the Bos?: NU pitcher Ryan Bos has proven this year that wins and losses are not an accurate measure of a pitcher’s performance.

The senior has the lowest ERA on the staff among starters and ranks seventh in the Big Ten. But Bos’ five losses are tied for most in the conference.

The lefty continued to baffle batters on Sunday, keeping the Cats in the game. He yielded only two unearned runs in seven innings, and he has not allowed an earned run in the last 15 innings.

“I felt great, and my control is probably better than ever before,” Bos said. “I’m feeling the best I have ever felt right now.”

Bos not only pitched well, but he earned a victory in the series finale over Penn State. It was only his second win of the year, and he improved his ERA to 2.89. The workhorse has thrown a team-high 53 innings.

“(He) pitched unbelievable,” Padgett said. “It is nice to get some runs for him and get him a win.”

Empty pen: The Cats travel to Valparaiso today to take on the Crusaders. It will be the second Tuesday game between the Cats and Valparaiso (6-19-1). On April 9, six NU pitchers combined to throw a one-hitter in a 5-0 victory.

The Cats plan to use a lot of pitchers again today, and they hope to carry the momentum from the Penn State series into the weekend.

“We just need to continue to keep doing the things we are doing well and continue to shore up our deficiencies,” Stevens said. “We need to keep guys understanding their roles and keep working on improving.”