Filmmaker’s work speaks strongly to NU audience

When director Justin Lin set out to fulfill his dreams by creating the independent Asian-American movie “Better Luck Tomorrow,” he said he was forced to whip out 10 credit cards and use his entire life savings.

“People were buying me groceries when I was editing the movie,” he said.

Now, groceries are the least of Lin’s concern as he has become one of Hollywood’s hottest young directors. His movie, “Better Luck Tomorrow,” was played at the 2002 Sundance Film Festival and has been purchased by MTV Films.

Asian American Advisory Board, in collaboration with several other student groups, sponsored the only college campus showing of Lin’s acclaimed movie to a packed house at McCormick Auditorium on Monday night.

The movie dramatized the lives of six young Asian Americans struggling with the pressures of high school in a California suburb.

As the movie neared completion, the audience burst into loud applause as the cast and director were invited on stage.

Lin encouraged questions from the audience, explaining that the movie was intended to provoke thought and discussion.

“When the credits roll, the movie doesn’t end,” he said.

In making the movie, Lin said he tried to change stereotypes of Asian-American characters in films and address teen violence.

Jason Tobin, who played the movie’s comic relief role, explained how he was “blown away” by the opportunities presented to him by the film.

“I made a career out of playing Chinese delivery boys,” he said.

Roger Fan, who played one of the movie’s confused teenager roles, said he could relate to the film.

“All the characters are flawed in their own way, like real people,” he said.

Karin Anna Chueng, who acted the part of the school’s popular girl, was more emotional as she spoke of her movie-making experience.

“Our lives have been changed forever,” Chueng said, bursting into tears.

The audience gave a standing ovation to the cast and director, and afterward, filed outside to get autographs and pictures with the stars.

Weinberg senior Doreen Lee, one of the event’s organizers, said she was surprised at some of the movie’s content, which included graphic portrayals of violence, alcohol consumption and drug use among Asian-American teenagers.

“Initially I was really shocked at the movie, but when you listen to (the cast), you begin to understand,” she said.

Medill sophomore Kimberly Chung, who came to watch the film, added: “You cringe at certain scenes not because they are shocking, but because you can relate to them so much.”