Underdog Wildcats hope third time’s a charm against Wisconsin

It’s no surprise that the Northwestern women’s basketball team is a heavy underdog in tonight’s first-round showdown with Wisconsin at the Big Ten tournament.

Two weeks ago, the Wildcats (4-23, 0-16 Big Ten) were demolished by Wisconsin, 80-47. NU has lost twice this year to the Badgers. And Wisconsin (17-10, 8-8) has been ranked as high as No. 5 this season.

Not to mention NU hasn’t beaten a Big Ten team in two years.

But today is the last day before March – which means it’s about time for March Madness. And NU knows March is the season for clutch performances and surprise endings.

“It’s March Madness, and it’s always fun,” NU coach June Olkowski said. “We definitely have a renewed sense of enthusiasm.”

After a winless regular season, the Cats have new life heading into the conference tournament. NU’s last league win came at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, site of tonight’s contest, in a first-round upset of Iowa in the 2000 Big Ten tournament.

In that game, then-freshman forwards Leslie Dolland and Natalie Will both started and had clutch performances. Dolland scored a team-high 13 points, and each recorded seven rebounds.

“Natalie and I realize it’s important how we approach the game, because it influences the younger players,” Dolland said. “When we come out focused, they come out focused. When we take a break, they take a break.”

Dolland and the rest of the Cats know they need to avoid a slow start. On Feb. 14, NU fell 18 points behind the Badgers in the first half and never recovered.

In fact, the Cats have not led at halftime in a Big Ten game all year.

“It’s important we keep the game tight early,” Olkowski said. “The tougher the game, the smaller the basket gets for Wisconsin.”

Even with a normal-sized hoop, the Badgers feel additional pressure to win tonight’s game. After dropping nine of its last 10, Wisconsin is in jeopardy of missing the NCAA Tournament – an inconceivable idea a month ago.

On Jan. 17 the Badgers sat alone atop the Big Ten standings with a perfect league record of 7-0 and a 16-1 overall mark. But since the hot start, Wisconsin’s only win was a home victory over NU.

“The whole load is on their back,” Will said. “We really have nothing to lose, and we have everything to shoot for.”

For NU to have a chance tonight, it will have to contain Wisconsin’s three senior starters: Kyla Black, Jessie Stomski and Tamara Moore. Stomski and Moore are two-time All-Big Ten honorees.

The three seniors combine for 66.2 percent of Wisconsin’s points and lead the team in all major statistical categories.

“Moore is the centerpiece of their offense, and we need to deny her the ball,” Dolland said. “We really need to limit her touches, because it will take them out of the flow of their offense.”

Stomski suffered a concussion in a loss to Ohio State on Sunday, and Moore will be forced to take a larger role if Stomski can’t play at 100 percent.

Her status is probable for today’s game, but the final decision will come at game time.

“She will be evaluated day-to-day, ” Wisconsin coach Jane Albright said Tuesday. “She hasn’t been cleared to practice yet, but I don’t think Jessie really needs the practice.”

Although Stomski’s Badgers are heavily favored in today’s matchup, the Cats are prepared for a lengthy tournament run.

“I packed enough clothes for four days,” Dolland said. “I plan to be in Indianapolis for a while.”