Dress rehearsal over, swimmers head to Big Ten championships

Big Ten foes beware: The Wildcats are aching to give further evidence that the Northwestern men’s swimming program is on the rise.

After finishing the regular season with a 6-1 dual-meet record, the Northwestern men’s swimming and diving team heads to Bloomington, Ind., for the conference championships this weekend. And the Cats are set on improving upon last year’s fifth-place finish.

Preliminary competition gets underway this afternoon, with six finals contested in the evening: the 500-yard freestyle, 200 individual medley, 50 free, 200 free relay, 400 medley relay and 1-meter diving.

“From day one, this meet has been our focus,” NU head coach Bob Groseth said. “The dual meets have been the dress rehersal for what we want to do at Big Tens.”

The team’s main goal is to place at least fifth, and the Cats’ attitudes suggest that anything less would be a disappointment. NU finished a disappointing ninth two years ago and fifth last year. By Saturday night, the Cats will find out if it has continued the annual improvement.

“Our confidence is higher going in this year because we swam a great season and some of our significant swimmers are a year older,” Groseth said.

Junior Mike Shue agreed.

“Our confidence is definitely higher this year, and we have higher expectations,” Shue said.

The top two spots are almost a lock, Shue said, as No. 6 Minnesota, the defending conference champion, and No. 10 Michigan are head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

“Minnesota and Michigan will probably fight among themselves for first and second,” the freestyler Shue said. “Third is up for grabs – that’s what we want.”

To land in third place, the unraknked Cats will have to beat three other Big Ten teams in the Top 25. Wisconsin, the only team to top NU in dual-meet competition this season, stands at No. 16, while Penn State is at No. 20 and Purdue at No. 21. The Cats did not swim against Penn State or Purdue in the regular season.

But a top-five finish at Big Tens isn’t NU’s only goal – the Cats are also hoping to earn invitations to the NCAA championships. Groseth said he hopes six NU swimmers will qualify for the national championships this year, which is twice last year’s total.

One of the Cats’ best events this weekend will be the 200 butterfly, with junior Kellan O’Connor holding the No. 1 Big Ten time this season. Sophomore Tony Swanson is also seeded No. 3 in both the 100 and 200 backstroke.

Despite the drive to qualify for the NCAA meet, Groseth and his swimmers said their focus at the Big Ten championships is to succeed as a team.

“The guys would never sacrifice what the team wants to accomplish for their individual wants,” Groseth said. “But I don’t want to be in a position to hinder their individual needs.”

Said Shue: “There’s tension coming from both directions. It’s a bitter feeling when you’re not swimming as well as everyone else. That’s why this weekend, we’re all going to contribute to being the best team.”

Cats senior Nick Barnes knows NU’s role this weekend.

“It’s time to start clowning on some folks,” the freestyler said.