Cats head for New Mexico looking to build on 1-3 start

Despite posting a 1-3 record in its opening weekend of nonconference play, Northwestern baseball coach Paul Stevens said he has seen signs that his team can return to the Big Ten tournament after falling one win short in 2001.

“This team has character,” Stevens said. “The first weekend out they were way behind in two games, but they never quit and were able to come back and win one. I like their intestinal fortitude.”

The Wildcats dropped two games to Portland and split a pair with Washington last weekend, salvaging the trip with a 7-6, come-from-behind victory over the Huskies on Sunday. Today the Wildcats begin a three-game series with New Mexico in Albuquerque, N.M.

Stevens is confident the team can improve on last season’s 11-17 record, in part because the starting rotation returns three seniors. Ryan Bos, Gabe Ribas and third-team All-Big Ten selection Zach Schara. Sophomore Dan Konecny has emerged as the fourth starter.

“The pitching staff is only going to get stronger,” Stevens said. “When push comes to shove, those guys are gonna be there.”

The young NU offense is looking to improve on last year’s .272 batting average, which ranked ninth in the Big Ten. Senior outfielder Steve Haake is a presence at the top of the order, where he led the team with 15 doubles and four triples last season. Second baseman Eric Roeder, last year’s team leader in hits, runs and RBIs, and leading hitter Todd Morgan also return to the lineup.

Junior Ken Padgett, an infielder in 2001, will move behind the plate to replace Joe Hietpas. The graduate was drafted in the 16th round by the New York Mets.

The Cats travel to Kansas, St. Louis and the Florida Tournament before beginning their Big Ten schedule March 29 at defending-champion Ohio State. While Stevens doesn’t expect his team to jump into the Big Ten driver’s seat, he hopes for more than just a tournament berth.

“There are certain things these guys want to establish,” he said. “I think respect is part of every athlete’s mentality and part of the reason why they work so hard. The only way to get respect is to earn it.”