Students groups demonstrate civil liberty violations with skits

Capturing the attention of diners at Norris University Center on Tuesday, members of Northwestern Opposing War and Racism and the Northwestern chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union reenacted an O’Hare International Airport strip search that occurred in November.

Conversations stopped abruptly as the short dramatization of the alleged civil liberties violation began with the bang of a drum.

“It came as a surprise, but it was definitely a good way to draw awareness to a large audience,” Medill freshman Gina Strayer said.

The incident at O’Hare occurred when a Muslim woman wearing a traditional head scarf was stopped and forced to remove her clothing. She didn’t set off any metal detectors and was found to have no weapons or dangerous materials.

Members of the student groups said they wanted NU students to be aware of the incident.

“We wanted to highlight this event because it happened at O’Hare, and that’s pretty close to home,” said Naureen Shah, national security committee chairwoman of ACLU-NU. “We’re fighting for freedom, and yet we’re giving it up right here.”

Some students said they were shocked after witnessing the reenactment.

“I just can’t believe something like that happened,” said Weinberg freshman Julie Kim, who had not heard of the incident before the skit.

But others said the skit was an annoyance.

“We didn’t need an educational theatrical experience,” said Jenny Skobin, a Speech sophomore who was eating lunch during the skit.

Medill freshman Richard Goldberg said he objected to the timing.

“They were inconsiderate to students who were trying to study or eat lunch peacefully,” he said.

Students received fliers with statistics of the number of discrimination cases against Muslims.

NOWAR also performed the skit at Tech Express and 1835 Hinman and will present more scenes Wednesday and Thursday around campus, group members said.

“We’re not saying you should agree, but that this is what’s happening,” Shah said. “Things happen outside our Northwestern bubble, and NOWAR is about making issues visible.”