Cable in dorms is requested by UBPC

Undergraduate Budget Priorities Committee members requested funding for projects including cable in dorm rooms and added campus lighting at a Northwestern Budget Committee meeting Tuesday afternoon.

Although administrators said the committee’s proposals were well researched and realistic, they raised concerns about having the money to fund all of the requests.

“Because of the economic downturn and some likely downturn in the fund-raising, putting this budget together for the year that starts Sept. 1 will be very difficult,” Senior Vice President for Business and Finance Eugene Sunshine said. “My guess is that not all of this will be funded, but a good chunk of it will be.”

The five students on the Budget Committee – Associated Student Government President Jordan Heinz, two ASG members and two non-senator students – annually present budget proposals to the administration.

Last year’s requests, which resulted in $2.16 million worth of improvements, focused on academic issues, including $30,000 for a lecture series and more undergraduate advisers in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Speech. But the committee focused on improving student life this year, said Heinz.

“They mentioned that the budget is tighter this year and we understand that, as long as students get their fair share,” said Heinz, a Weinberg senior. “Now is the time the administrators need to address (student life) to ensure student satisfaction.”

Cable television in dorms and improved lighting are the two most significant proposals, administrators said.

“The most important in terms of size is the cable because it’s expensive,” University President Henry Bienen said Tuesday. “Lighting is an important one too because of safety.”

Students should have cable television not only for relaxation purposes, but so they can stay informed about world events, according to the committee’s report.

Administrators said they recognize students’ desire for dorm cable.

“It’s come to be an essential part of life for many people,” said Jean Shedd, associate provost for budget, facilities and analysis, who attended the meeting.

Dorms could have cable by Fall Quarter or next winter if the decision to fund the proposal is made within the next month, Sunshine said.

The initial cable installation is estimated at $550,000, said William Banis, vice president for student affairs. But monthly fees would be passed on to students.

“There’s a capital cost and then there’s an ongoing cost for maintenance,” Sunshine said. “The university can pay for the capital cost and then recover it over the years by charging the fee (to students).”

Improving lighting on campus might be more difficult because some street lighting falls under Evanston’s jurisdiction.

“There might be some (lights) in the city that we can get out of the city by moving them in a little bit,” Sunshine said.

The committee also asked for the printing fee system to be changed so students do not have to pay for the first 50 pages. Students have paid five cents per page for the first 50 pages since charges were implemented last year.

The committee also asked for more all-campus events similar to those held for the Sesquicentennial last year. Also requested were lower fees for Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center classes and a retreat for all ASG-recognized student group presidents and treasurers.

“The university recognizes how important these issues are to the students and each one will be reviewed by them in terms of the budget and implementation,” said UBPC member Tamara Kagel, a Speech sophomore and Allison Hall senator. “I have faith that they will make the choices and decisions that are in the best interest of the student body.”