Women’s field hockey names Shin new assistant coach

The Northwestern field hockey team announced Tuesday the hiring of Jeanne Shin as assistant coach.

Shin, a 2001 Michigan graduate, excelled as part of a Wolverines squad that won Big Ten regular-season titles in 1997 and 2000, Bit Ten tournament titles in 1999 and 2000, and was runner-up in the 1999 NCAA tournament.

While playing in Ann Arbor, she started three years, won four letters, and was named second-team All-Big Ten and second-team NFHCA West Region All-American. She was also named Academic All-Big Ten three times.

“Jeanne’s drive and dedication at Michigan helped build a Big Ten champion,” head field hockey coach Marisa Didio said in a statement. “That’s exactly what our kids want to do.”

This will be Shin’s first stint as a coach. Working along fellow assistant coach Kelly McCollum, she will be responsible for on-the-field player development and scouting opposing teams. She will also help with on-campus recruiting and identifying regional talent.

Shin worked previously as a service leader for City Year in Chicago and in program development at Roosevelt High School.

She is currently enrolled as a graduate student in NU’s School of Education and Social Policy.

“Jeanne has the maturity and ambition to help our program,” Didio said. “She is an example of success in our sport that our athletes can look to and connect with immediately.”