Wolverines on the ball, Spartans on a roll

No. 6 Michigan State (15-4, 5-1 Big Ten)

The Spartans are the league’s hottest team entering the tournament. Their last setback was on Oct. 4, a 2-1 overtime loss against Michigan. Two-time Big Ten Player of the Week Bridget Cooper is the leader of the league’s highest-scoring squad. She leads the Big Ten with 15 goals. Maureen Halstead has added 11 goals for the Spartans, scoring on 40 percent of her shots.

No. 9 Ohio State (12-4, 5-1)

The Buckeyes and Spartans shared the regular-season title, and it was the first championship for each program. But while Michigan State is one of the nation’s most talented teams, Ohio State coach Anne Wilkinson seemingly willed her squad to the league crown. The Buckeyes rely on a host of international players, including leading scorer Marije von Nouhuys from The Netherlands, midfielder Lucy Clayton from England and midfielder Lorena Margni from Uruguay.

No. 5 Michigan (13-4, 4-2)

Although they lost conference games to Ohio State and Penn State, the defending tournament champion Wolverines might be the Big Ten’s most talented team. Michigan has played through the conference’s toughest schedule, notching an early-season win over Old Dominion, the defending national champs. Led by senior goaltender Maureen Tasch, the Wolverines boast the league’s best defense, allowing less than a goal per game.

No. 16 Iowa (11-4, 3-3)

The steady Hawkeyes have been good but not spectacular this season. They’ve beaten the teams that they were supposed to, but they are 1-4 against nationally ranked opponents, with a lone victory over Penn State on Oct. 5. Tiffany Leister and Sarah Dawson lead a balanced offensive attack, while goaltenders Barb Weinberg and Saleema Rogers have split time in the cage.

No. 13 Penn State (12-6, 3-3)

Like Michigan State, the Nittany Lions enter the conference tournament on a seven-match winning streak. The second-stingiest team in the Big Ten, Penn State relies heavily on its defense. Goalie Annie Zinkavich has turned away 78.2 percent of shot attempts, the best ratio in the conference. Scoring threat Kiley Kulina has been named offensive player of the week on three occasions.

Northwestern (2-12, 1-5)

The Wildcats’ season has been marked by small steps forward, but the conference tournament is their chance to make a giant leap. Margin of defeat is the best way to understand the Cats’ improvement. NU opened Big Ten play with a 5-0 loss to Michigan State, and it ended the conference season with a 2-0 defeat against Michigan. The Cats need to convert penalty corners to score, and they will rely on leading scorer Nicole Smith.

Indiana (1-15, 0-6)

An Indiana victory over Ohio State would possibly be the biggest upset in tournament history. The Hoosiers are in only their second season of competition, and it shows in their stats. Indiana is last in the Big Ten in both goals scored and goals allowed. Among their losses is a 10-1 thrashing at the hands of Michigan and an 8-1 defeat against Iowa. Indiana is the conference’s youngest team, with 13 freshmen and just two seniors.