Forgiving and forgetting some old NU grudges

To save everyone a lot of strife, please read this in the same spirit it was written — for fun.

I promised a scathing review of Northwestern’s administration for this column. But an experience I had in the last week made me realize how wrong I was about so many things.

I repent for the curses I laid upon NU for taking away our tailgates. Those mornings when we actually felt like college students were only feeding our licentious ways, and the university was merely saving us from ourselves.

I will hereby forgive and forget the absence of an adviser for the bulk of my college career.

The obliteration of the fraternity system will cease to give rise in me the same indignation. It really wasn’t heartless for the university to repeatedly leave students without their secured housing for the next year weeks before school let out, and obviously keeping parties off campus was a solution to everyone’s problem.

Not figuring out that lighting on campus was an issue until after an assault is understandable. After all, the administrators probably don’t get out much at night — this is Evanston, you know.

Thinking about NU sending armed police officers to dorm rooms to find students suspected of having fake IDs will no longer cause my heart to be filled with rage. Nor will I seethe with anger when thinking of the exorbitant tuition rate that is raised mercilessly every year.

I now deem fair the $1,000 study-abroad fee. The hour I spent in the Study Abroad Office listening to some lady tell me I would experience culture shock while living in another country was worth that. I mean, there was a PowerPoint presentation that went with the talk, which has got to count for something. Oh, and the fact that NU will only allow you to go on “reputable” (read: expensive) programs, there is undoubtedly a deep and somehow justifiable reason for that.

What else was to be in my myriad of complaints? That one of the $30,000 tuition payments each of us makes each year couldn’t be put toward buying ample printing supplies for the library. The fact that club sports go practically unfunded. The absence of unrestricted computer access on North Campus (compound that with the terrible campus lighting and a paper that you have to write at 11 p.m. and you’ve got yourself a Catch-22).

Norris University Center: Everything about that eyesore bothers me, from its architecture to its ridiculously inflated food prices. Is anyone else aware that other schools’ unions have bowling alleys, bars and Wendys? And a leftover rant from freshman year: the refusal of dorm cafeterias to put out new food during the last two weeks before a break.

But no, after what NU has done for me this week, I find my complaints unwarranted. What caused such a drastic change of heart? I went to the Wildcard office to replace my card. I found to my delight that the flimsy piece of plastic no longer costs $20. Yes, it turns out NU knocked the price all the way down to $15 at the start of last year. I was so excited by my good fortune, that in addition to reneging all my former grudges against this university, I decided to spend that extra $5 right away. So I bought some cigarettes. At Norris they were $5 — that is the going market rate, right?