Cats face Indiana today, hope to snap 6-game losing streak

Consider it a brief respite.

After losing four straight matches to Top 25 teams, the Northwestern field hockey squad (1-7, 0-1 Big Ten) has a golden opportunity to net its first win since late August when it takes on Indiana (1-7, 0-1) this afternoon in Bloomington, Ind.

The Wildcats have been outscored 20-3 in their current six-match losing streak, including 16-1 in their last four. In that stretch, NU faced No. 1 Maryland and No. 16 James Madison at the Terrapin Invitational in early September, and No. 7 Michigan State and No. 10 Ohio State as the conference schedule got underway two weekends ago.

Despite the apparent step down in competition, the Cats aren’t discounting the Hoosiers.

“Indiana will give us just as tough a match (as NU’s recent opponents),” sophomore forward Katie Walshauser said. “Against any team you have to come out with the same attitude.”

Indiana’s struggles are due in large part to youth – in both the program, and its players. Indiana is in just its second season of field hockey, and the 20-player roster includes 13 freshmen. Rookies have scored seven of Indiana’s eight goals.

Akila Jones – one of two seniors on the roster – has anchored the Hoosiers’ defense, starting all eight matches. The Hoosiers have allowed a league-worst 26 goals, including 10 in a Sept. 23 loss at No. 3 Michigan.

Last season, the Cats trounced the Hoosiers, 7-0. But they understand that the top-notch competition they’ve played recently doesn’t guarantee success today.

“I think compared to the schedule we’ve had – Maryland, JMU, Michigan State, Ohio State – Indiana will be a different style of play,” goaltender Katie Hall said. “But we can’t slack off. We need to make sure we play our game.”

Any breather the Cats get from today’s game will be short-lived. The Cats take on No. 9 Louisville Saturday, also in Bloomington.